charolais-speckle park cross

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
Hi all, We are in outback Queensland, Australia and have a charolais/charbray cow herd. Speckle Park cattle have recently gained a lot of traction over here and we are considering buying some bulls. Does anyone have any photos of what colour cattle we could expect in the progeny? Would they throw a silver grey colour from the white cows? Are they prone to blight? What is their heat tolerance? Charolais have high heat tolerance but angus do not, so I assume they would be similar to angus. Cheers

Im in Victoria and also interesred in speckle park. I have small property and intend to ai blck angus heifers to a speckle bull. I have seen that done before and that cross comes out looking like a speckle. Check out my post my herd. They are char bull on bb heifers i think you will expect that colouring.

Kathie in Thorp has British Whites, which are a related breed I think.. she might be able to tell you a little more about them.

With the color diluter gene of the Char, I'd expect about what Muddy said for coloration

Jilleroo, if it aint broke don't try and fix it. I can't think of any gain over your beaut charolais cattle that speckle park would give you other than the colour. My neighbour has gone with a speckle park bull for a couple of years now on xbred cows with murray grey origins and a high %age are coming speckled, mostly black I think. He has entered the show steer market and the speckle colouring makes them very marketable in that market.

Ken