Charolais over Brangus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a small herd of Brangus cows running with a Brangus bull. It's time to change bulls, and I was wondering if anyone had used Charolais bulls on Brangus cows. In the past, I bought some Angus and Baldy cows that were bred to Charolais bulls and they grew like it was going out of style. I appreciate any input.
J.T.

i'd keep the brangus myself, if you wanted a little less ear, angus or hereford

I would put an Angus Bull on them. You would have much more Quality,
and looking at the Angus Plus.
The charolaise may grow like going out of style but you will come out ahead with the Angus Plus quality.
Cowmen in the south like a little Brahman influence but a lot of the Angus quality.
Go where the money is at.
If you don't want to use Angus on them use Hereford.
They may qualify for CHB.

la4angus":1wvgvnly said:
If you don't want to use Angus on them use Hereford.
They may qualify for CHB.

hereford x brangus is a really good cross but they don't qualify for CHB because of the brahman........they will still bring good $$.

OK, My mistake. That may make some realize that the CHB cannot have any Brahman in them. You are right, they will still top many sales if of the right quality.

seen some in Fla. made pretty good looking calves, don't know how they will grow out. guy had 5 charlois bulls so he has his money on them.

Sometimes what you put your money on is not the best bet.
How many Horses has Won the Triple Crown.

Again I think this is a classic case of wasting pelvic room and extra milk if you use english cattle. Charolais should ad enough extra pounds at weaning to more than offset any premium recieved for an angus calf. If you still want the extra profit from cab then use a black Salers or Semi. The longer you own them the more sence it makes to use exotics because the longer they are fed the more difference there is in preformance. If you are concerned about the quality grade buy a bull that has ultrasound data that confirms that he will produce calves that will marble.

We used brangus bulls on our charolais cows for many years...the heifers became very good mama cows but the calves did have a little ear and didnt seem as meaty as say and angus or simm. calf but like I said, we now have many good mama cows that are brangus/charolais crosses

a charolais bull on angus cows is a good cross providing you dont go to extems , in north texas their are hundreds of cattleman that do very well with this cross . The good thing about a brahman cross female is that she will most likely never have a calving problem , so you can safely put a good charolais bull on her. youre brangus cows will milk above the angus , grade above the brahman and the resulting calf from the charolais TERMINAL cross will yeild and grade well , i woudnt keep my females , not that they are bad its just that they will limit youre bull selection in the future, and good brangus females are easy to come buy depending on were youre from . start with good quality cows and dont buy junk bulls and you will be happy with this cros .

cow puncher":221eum51 said:
a charolais bull on angus cows is a good cross providing you dont go to extems , in north texas their are hundreds of cattleman that do very well with this cross . The good thing about a brahman cross female is that she will most likely never have a calving problem , so you can safely put a good charolais bull on her. youre brangus cows will milk above the angus , grade above the brahman and the resulting calf from the charolais TERMINAL cross will yeild and grade well , i woudnt keep my females , not that they are bad its just that they will limit youre bull selection in the future, and good brangus females are easy to come buy depending on were youre from . start with good quality cows and dont buy junk bulls and you will be happy with this cros .

What do you mean by limiting your bull selection? Do a lot of people switch around what breed of bull they use? What bulls would you suggest breeding to charolais/brangus cross cows? I'm not knocking anything you said, I'm just trying learn as much as I can.

J.T.":2kn7xmys said:
I have a small herd of Brangus cows running with a Brangus bull. It's time to change bulls, and I was wondering if anyone had used Charolais bulls on Brangus cows. In the past, I bought some Angus and Baldy cows that were bred to Charolais bulls and they grew like it was going out of style. I appreciate any input.
J.T.

it's a good cross, if you are chosing Charolais as a terminal cross you could also try Limousin and if you are a "Black hided" type of cattleman you have the color option with Limos, if you want more Angus blood try a Limflex or Romangus they should work too

it would limit MY bull selection because personaly i wouldnt want to go back on the char x females with another continental or exotic breed . just my opinion but that would most likely cuase calves to grade a little lower than what i would be shooting for . a good english sire on these females would be better from a carcass standpoint .

I won't keep Charolais/Brangus females, if I where to cross Brangus cows and think in keeping females as replacements I will crossbred them to a Simmental or Simmangus bull

NCSU Maverick":vgtusqbz said:
cow puncher":vgtusqbz said:

What do you mean by limiting your bull selection? Do a lot of people switch around what breed of bull they use? What bulls would you suggest breeding to charolais/brangus cross cows? I'm not knocking anything you said, I'm just trying learn as much as I can.

How many of you guys retain ownership? I thought most of us were pretty much small timers [100 cows or less] I know guys with 250 + cows that don't retain there calves. With that said, If you don't have 40% +
continintal blood in your calves you're not making all you can make off your calves.
Yellow calves top the market here in SW missouri and they are heavier at weaning. The smartest beef man I know has a good Red Angus cow herd [200+] He has all Char. bulls and 1 Red angus bull. Raises his own replacments off the red angus and markets all char x calves.
I have not heard him ponder weather his calves grade prime, but he does have a nice new truck every year.
We have a responsibilty to the consumer and to our industry to raise the best eating calves we can, but we also have the responsibilty of passing on a profitable way of life to our children. For a cow calf opperator
that means selling calves for as much as possible.

TR":3vsviuzy said:
Texas A&M has put out a publication that gives basic examples of good cow/bull commercial crosses. I refer to it frequently and was wondering what ya'lls opinion of table 2 was....

http://animalscience.tamu.edu/ansc/index.htm

Ooops...click the link above, go to the bottom to Animal Breeding and Genetics, then click the article titled "Commercial Bull Selection Made EZ" by Rick Machen

Latest posts