Charolais or Simmental diluter gene?

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak

Reaction score
The last two photos are of the grandma of the calf. She was a Charolais cross with a feint white face and droopy fuzzy ears that I bought from the Sale Barn as a calf and kept for 12 plus years. The first two photos are of her daughter and grandson (the calf). Is this the Charolais dilution gene at work or possibly the Simmental dilution gene?

Hard - if not impossible - to say.
I've got quite a few cows in the herd with the Simmental color dilution gene, courtesy of several AI sires we used back in the 1980s... in the 'black-factor' cows, they range from dark chocolate brown to mousy brown, to gray to silver to white.
Also have one that's descended from a little yellow line-back Char-X cow we bought in 1986... both she and a white SM-influenced(3/4AN) cow have produced 'white' calves when bred to Angus, Shorthorn, (and even Braunvieh) sires... but also black and dark red calves when bred to SH sires.
So... the Simmental color dilution gene and Charolais color-inhibitor gene are both in the mix here, but other than knowing the ancestry behind those two 'white' cows, I can't necessarily differentiate between the effects of the two.

I've had 'white' 7/8 AN calves born out of these two (black-factor) white cows that carry the SM dilution & Char inhibitor genes.
But, they've also produced solid dark black or red calves, when bred to a Shorthorn sire.

ALACOWMAN":1vkh751s said:
My calves out of Simmental influenced cows, angus sired...that come grey or mouse colored, are dubbed char x..through the stockyard
Aren't you running an Ohlde bull?

Post Oak":1chsea79 said:
ALACOWMAN":1chsea79 said:
My calves out of Simmental influenced cows, angus sired...that come grey or mouse colored, are dubbed char x..through the stockyard
Yes,,same thing... Only with him some of the calves are coming red, and turning black as they mature and shed off....

"Generally" the Simmental calves that are "reddish" and turn black as they shed out, are "normally" hetero-black cattle. I can have a black dam & a black sire, but when the calf comes out sorta chocolate, I can usually figure the calf inherited a red gene from one parent.

ALACOWMAN":oyomfhq8 said:
Post Oak":oyomfhq8 said:
ALACOWMAN":oyomfhq8 said:
Yes,,same thing... Only with him some of the calves are coming red, and turning black as they mature and shed off....
I'm on my second Ohlde sired bull and you can't beat their temperament and fleshing ability.

Post Oak":af5egc4u said:
ALACOWMAN":af5egc4u said:
Post Oak":af5egc4u said:
I'm on my second Ohlde sired bull and you can't beat their temperament and fleshing ability.
You got that right...going from raising Brahman and F1s in the past..its like their on Valium...never had to knock em outa the way in the past like I do now .... :D

Char are pretty strong. That's one our calf, which is only ~9% Char. He is 50%Lim, 25% Black Angus. His dam next year had a black Limox heifer, this year another light grey calf.
013_6.jpg

The grandma was a good cow that calved every 11 months and I only sold her when she was over 12 because we were in a drought and she was the poorest and oldest cow. Her daughter who is in the picture with her calf is developing into a fine cow and is extremely fertile. She was born in July 2014, had her first calf in May 2016, second calf in March 2017, and third (current) calf January 2018.

Latest posts