Charolais nostalgia

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of pictures of some of my Charolais from the early 90's.
Skinny kid is me as teen, with an around 9 month old bull calf that I bought. He broke his shoulder after being out with cows for about a month, he had bred all the cows and left some good daughters.
The big bull walking by in another picture was another purchased bull a couple years later. He was an ET calf from a National Champion bull and reserve National Champion female. He was if I remember a yearling frame 11. Decent bull, for terminal calves, but his pedigree could take the milk out of a Holstein. BW was high too, had several 120# and a couple 135# calves.9930E123-8419-4F78-B497-620CA6C412C9.jpeg92841EE8-95B5-4FB2-ADD4-681A05A29048.jpegE0FB05E3-86F7-4370-9035-4E9FF5F5CF11.jpeg7B4DDE4A-7DB7-4870-A60D-6CBA0636FEEB.jpeg

ky hills, it looks like you had some very nice Charolais. Are you still breeding them or have you gone another direction?
Thanks, That was many years ago. I phased out my registered herd in the mid 90's. Got hit with a double whammy of a hard calving bull, and the market bottomed out for anything not Angus around here. Now I don't even have anything with Charolais influence. Recently been kicking around the idea of bringing in a Charolais bull at some point, and did look at one a year or so ago, but went with a Simmental instead.
I still say that Charolais are a good breed with individuals that can do anything any other breed can. I have always believed that as long as calving ease is present, they are are the best breed to cross with. They just seem to cross good with about any breed.

I am doing pretty good with them so far. I have a few older cows, which are not full breeds with 3 registered Charolais bulls, two years ago purchased a herd of registered calves. Very few are brought to the sale barn most are sold to individuals, wanting to mix the heifers with an Angus bull.

I sat through a lot of feeder cattle at the sale yesterday. There were lots of 20 to 40 head where a quarter to half the calves were Char crosses. They sold at the top of the market. B runs about 25 char bulls and 15 Angus bulls. Back in November his calves topped the sale in about every weight class. He doesn't keep any Char heifers as replacements.

Latest posts