Charolais Heifer = fire away

Help Support CattleToday:

deenranch

Reaction score
U14.JPG

Heifer that I have raised

How old was she when this picture was taken?
I would like to see her out of the mud so i can see her feet.
Any performance numbers like weaning weight birth weight ratios, EPDs etc?
From the looks of the picture she isn't getting babied. I would like to see some improvement in thickness. Depending on pedigree I would like to use a bull like Sparrows Fargo on her. Check him out at: http://www.defoortstockfarm.com/. You will have to dig into the the website but plenty is available on this bull. Well built and perfect EPDs for a calving ease bull.

CJC Illusion N111 x LHD Ali Mark T214 is her pedigree... She is 14 months old here.. Been on feed for 3 weeks... She had been out on grass for the past 3 months with only cubes 2 times a week... She weighed 628# at weaning.. On momma and grass... She is going to get bred to Three Trees Wind 0383 next weekend... I have some other heifers in the pen with her that have been on feed a little longer.. They are going to a sale in May... I feed the three heifers 50# of 12% feed and all the hay they want daily... She hasn't been pampers much :cboy:

Nice to see she is going to be bred to a sleep easy calving ease sire. What is her current weight? It is hard for me to gauge an animals size in pictures. Are you trying to breed for more for calving ease or performance?

VLS,
I am trying to keep bw moderate and ww high... The N111 bull is a calving ease bull at DeBruyckers... His epd's don't show it but he is... She weighed 1090 last week... Don't know how much of that was mud.. We have had a very hard winter... The mud has been bad... The N111's are moderate and thick... I will try to move her to another pen that isn't muddy and get better pics...

We've been breeding char for over thirty years - and that's a really nice heifer! Congratulations!

I really like your heifer ... she appears to be a really well balanced female ..feminine .. correct .. enough thickness and depth of body. If I was being fussy I would say maybe you could just lengthen her out a hair .. hard to tell .. she might not be that way. Looks like a money maker to me. :)

Jen

Jen,

That heifer is plenty long. I think it if a better camera was used and if she wasn't standing in the mud she would show considerably better.
Aside from that it is nice to see a Hereford breeder have nice things to say about a Charolais. I am sure you have seen plenty of Quinton's, Turnbull's, and Sproule's cattle to form an opinion-particularly on the red and black Charolais.

I like her. I like the mud. A little more and she'd almost be black :banana:

angus9259":2yw6szwh said:
I like her. I like the mud. A little more and she'd almost be black :banana:

She looks just like a high quality angus except she's longer, taller, deeper, fuller, and white. :lol2: Great looking heifer young man.

[That heifer is plenty long. I think it if a better camera was used and if she wasn't standing in the mud she would show considerably better.
Aside from that it is nice to see a Hereford breeder have nice things to say about a Charolais. I am sure you have seen plenty of Quinton's, Turnbull's, and Sproule's cattle to form an opinion-particularly on the red and black Charolais./quote]

Well ... guess you know my neighbors ! LOL ! I actually spent 2 fall seasons working at a Charolais place ... that would have been about 8-10 years ago .. hard to believe as it seems like it was not that long ago !! Anyhow .. the cattle that he raised were really big ... I mean mature cows that we could not get through a big squeeze chute. That being said .. over the years I have admired how the Charolais breed has changed .. the heifer pictured here is a good example of how I see the breed looking for more "balanced" as less "extreme" cattle.

Funny .. I was going to add to my last post that this was a pretty good compliment coming from a die hard Hereford outfit !!! ... but everyone has their own program. I enjoy looking at all breeds of cattle .. I feel fortunate to have worked with so many of them over the years ..

Jen

Latest posts