charolais heffer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I have two heffers with no EPD information on them, but my question is do first time heffers have a hard time milking or are they just bad milkers?
Thanks for any comments.

It depends on the heifer. Most first time heifers will not milk as well as they will their 2nd time, but most of them produce enough milk to raise a decent calf. Because first time heifers are still growing and developing themselves, it sure doesn't hurt to feed them a little better than you would a mature cow. A lot of times, that will help to increase their milk production.

no EPDs on a heifer doesnt mean the the heifers wont milk.ive seen heifers with good EPDs that didnt have the milk to raise a calf.so id say breed your heifers an see if they raise good calves.

straight charalois are not known for their milking ability, they can be slim on milk. but when crossed they are good cows. i have several gray charX cows that raise a whopper of a calf.

jcarkie, I have to disagree with your statement that straight charolais are not know for their milking ability. The Charolais I have are straight registered Charolais cattle and they milk heavy. It doesn't matter what the breed some blood lines are lighter on milk that others but not the whole breed of cattle. The Char x cows are getting the hetorsis factor is what makes them good cows.

Latest posts