charolais cross cows

Help Support CattleToday:

los manires

Reaction score
Hello, I´m trying to figure out if charolais cross cows can be efficient productive cows. I think of this because I´ve noticed that in the States char crosses seem to be destined mainly for terminal production. I´ve also noticed that for the most part these boards recommend buying replacement heifers or cows. So following this train of thought I come to think that there must not be very many char cross cows in production. If you have any pictures of these crosses I would really appreciate you sharing on this post ,I especially like some smokey angus/char calves I saw on the boards a few days ago. I also reason that if you put a herf bull on an angus/char f1 cow, you should be able to get some great calves. Thank you all.

Charolais cows and or crosses can be efficient productive cows. Like any breed it is in the bloodlines. However that being with the breeds you mentioned i would go with a herefrd angus female (black baldy) and bred a charolais bull. should get faster growing calves with more muscle andf the cows woul be smaller more efficient as a rule of thumb.

We've had some Char crosses that are very efficient and some that were not. For quite awhile though the majority of our herd had some Char blood in it. We do prefer the Red Angus for many reasons but we still have some Charolais crosses that are excellent cows and doing their jobs. Here are a few pics, none of the smokey ones as we've never had black angus but I thought I would post anyway:

A five year old Charolais(sire) x Simmental/Red Angus (dam). The one on the left is her half sister on the dams side but still had a purebred Charolais sire :
IMG_1048.jpg

Their calves at 4 or 5 months old (I deleted the originals so I can't remember the date). The sire of these calves is a purebred red angus:
IMG_1058.jpg

An interesting cross (5 years old), she is Charolais (sire) x Highland/Red Angus:
IMG_1050.jpg

Here is a Charolais (sire) x Hereford/Red Angus, again a five year old. The sire of the calf is Red Angus and he is about 6 1/2 months old.
026.jpg

The last cow is a smaller cow and doesn't take a lot to feed. The first two aren't quite as efficient but they are also not huge hay burners unlike some we have had in the past. Personally I prefer this steer though - 4 months old and one of our Red Angus freezer steers. His dam is small and doesn't eat much, plus she is 14 years old. Unfortunately no picture of her.
IMG_1055.jpg

One last thought, a lot of people (us included at the time) preferred using a Charolais bull on our Red Angus cross cows (or Herefords or whatever for the main reason that the cows were more efficient. However, you will have more pulls doing it that way.

Beautyful animals, lush place , I can only say wow. I do see the point of using the char bull on a cross cow that should be of moderate size . Thanks for posting those pics.

Victoria
I can see why you would like that #89 steer. What the heck does he weigh?

I have a lot of Charlais influence in my cows and like the results a lot. I see you are getting some great calves with the same percentages. .

By the way : nice looking country.

We had a good thread about Char X Brahman. SHould be able to search and find it. Maybe TxAG is lurking around and will post a link,, he has a gift. :lol:

Might be a good mix,, especialy for you location. ;-) But that is really no different then running Beefmaster or Brangus or something and saving the trouble of mixing.

los manires":2f0sbwes said:
Beautyful animals, lush place , I can only say wow. I do see the point of using the char bull on a cross cow that should be of moderate size . Thanks for posting those pics.

I had forgotten how lush it was until I saw these pics. Now almost everything is burnt off or eaten. You're welcome for posting, good luck with your herd.

3waycross":3axmjwve said:
Victoria
I can see why you would like that #89 steer. What the heck does he weigh?

I have a lot of Charlais influence in my cows and like the results a lot. I see you are getting some great calves with the same percentages. .

By the way : nice looking country.

I have no idea what his weight was in this picture. We don't weigh anything except our registered. His dam isn't registered - she is 7/8 Red Angus, sire is pure. Right now (7 months) he has to be pushing 800 pounds anyway, just comparing him to ones that were weighed. I do think I made an error in calculating his age for the picture - he was probably 5 months in the photo.

los manires":1fg094uu said:
Hello, I´m trying to figure out if charolais cross cows can be efficient productive cows. I think of this because I´ve noticed that in the States char crosses seem to be destined mainly for terminal production. I´ve also noticed that for the most part these boards recommend buying replacement heifers or cows. So following this train of thought I come to think that there must not be very many char cross cows in production. If you have any pictures of these crosses I would really appreciate you sharing on this post ,I especially like some smokey angus/char calves I saw on the boards a few days ago. I also reason that if you put a herf bull on an angus/char f1 cow, you should be able to get some great calves. Thank you all.
CharXAngus I think is a better cross than HerefordXAngus.

THG

Latest posts