Charolais cross bull on 1st time heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Texheifer

Reaction score
Have yearling first time Angus cross heifers and want to put a 2 yr old charolais cross bull on them. Any opinions? Will the bull throw calves to big for the young heifers?

Could be fine or could be a train wreck. With my luck it would be the latter. I'd look into AI and use a known calving ease bull.

I wouldn't put a full blood papered one on heifers with low BW much less a POS crossbred bull.
Are you proficient with chains and drawing the imaginary X.

I use a full blooded Charolais bull on my Charolais, cross heifers and cows with no problems for 8 years now, knock on wood. I will say however that my Charolais bull is out of the Bluegrass bull.

You're just asking for trouble for 2 reasons: Heifers vs 10 year old cow. Charolais bull rather than Charolais heifer and Angus bull. Not kidding man. Don't do it. I've lost 'em and pulled 'em and finally realized that you need that small head and frame that Angus gives you to get through the cervix!

Texheifer":13aznhws said:
Have yearling first time Angus cross heifers and want to put a 2 yr old charolais cross bull on them. Any opinions? Will the bull throw calves to big for the young heifers?
Charolais crossed with what? If you ask if a longhorn cross would be ok some would say ok. But what if it was longhorn/Charolais.
I use a registered Charolais on everything.

The charolais is crossed with a black baldy. The birth weight on the bull it's self was low.. not sure if that makes a difference or not?

Texheifer":2y5v9gww said:
The charolais is crossed with a black baldy. The birth weight on the bull it's self was low.. not sure if that makes a difference or not?

Why even mess with cattle when you shoot yourself in the foot.
Heifers are a crap shoot to start with
to top it off your using a hamburger bull.

Texheifer":14bn6s45 said:
Have you ever calved out a group of heifers? How many are you talking about?

Texheifer":34thvoss said:

So he's a 3 way cross,,ain't -no way-I'd gamble on it...

Why would you ask the board if this cross would be OK, now, after you have purchased a 3-way cross bull? Do you have another option? It is 8-17, so you are looking at starting to calve them around June 1st. How big are your heifers? 500# - 600# - 800#??
The bull is the most important purchase a breeder makes. Even if you are running a commercial herd, investing in a papered bull with data (EPD's) is more than worth it. You are working with a crap-shoot. Your heifers are crossbred and your bull is a crossbred. You could have a great set of calves, or ---- you could not.
I would guess most on this board are cautious when breeding yearlings.

Sell the bull and buy a proven purebred bull. Or just buying chains and start to saving money for vet bills.

Latest posts