Charolais cows

Help Support CattleToday:

HandB

Reaction score
I was wanting to run a red or black angus herd and cross w/ a charolais bull, even 1st calf hiefers. However due to some input from this website and problems I've seen in the industry with calf size and calving problems from the charolais bulls I have decided to rethink my approach. If this is the cross I am after wouldn't it make sense to have charolais cows and cross w/ a red or black bull to achieve the same effect?

Double edged sword. Calving difficultis possible using a Charolais bull, possible poor milk production from the Charolais cow. But an Angus may not have adequate milk to raise a growthy crossbred calf. Using Angus cows would in the long run allow more flexibility in a cross breeding program. You just need to insure that the cows are high milking individuals.

dun

HandB":21oxtc4a said:
I was wanting to run a red or black angus herd and cross w/ a charolais bull, even 1st calf hiefers. However due to some input from this website and problems I've seen in the industry with calf size and calving problems from the charolais bulls I have decided to rethink my approach. If this is the cross I am after wouldn't it make sense to have charolais cows and cross w/ a red or black bull to achieve the same effect?

Latest posts