Charolais bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Cant beat an Angus x Charolais cross. Hereford x Brangus cross really well too. The replacement females from the hereford brangus usually bring a premium. The charolais angus cross will mash the scales down. We've not had any BW issues with our Charolais for a LONG LONG LONG time now. No Disposition problems either.. Just study the pedigree of the bull you're looking at before you buy and you should be just fine.. plenty of calving ease charolais bulls out there now days

I would follow Alacowman on this char on mature cows, really puts the pounds on, run a SIMM to start then switch to char, my char I had was gentle, walk right up to him and hand feed him, not aggressive at all, calves finished well I now I ate 3 of them :nod:

Hello,

Many commercial cattle breeders in Southern Australia cross Char over mature Angus cows with great success. It makes use of hybrid vigour and adds muscle and yield to the progeny.
One disadvantage of using Char is you will get mainly smokey grey calves which aren't always as easily marketable or preferred by buyers. Rather than using Charolais my tip would be to use Black Limousin. This will give you similar result but hold the marketable black hided coat that is sort after in the auction/market place.
You can also use black Simmental but be selective as many of the modern day Black Simms don't have the same muscle patterns and punch to them as what Char or Limousin provides.

Happy Cross-breeding :)

AussieLim":zl7fq299 said:
Hello,

Many commercial cattle breeders in Southern Australia cross Char over mature Angus cows with great success. It makes use of hybrid vigour and adds muscle and yield to the progeny.
One disadvantage of using Char is you will get mainly smokey grey calves which aren't always as easily marketable or preferred by buyers. Rather than using Charolais my tip would be to use Black Limousin. This will give you similar result but hold the marketable black hided coat that is sort after in the auction/market place.
You can also use black Simmental but be selective as many of the modern day Black Simms don't have the same muscle patterns and punch to them as what Char or Limousin provides.

Happy Cross-breeding :)

Not every market is the same. Smokey calf with a black nose here brings the same premium as blacks, but it varies from region to region even in the US.

Latest posts