Charolais bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Anyone on here put Charolais bulls on Brangus & Angus cows? ALso what about Hereford bull on Brangus?

tncattle":3ba6vwb3 said:
Anyone on here put Charolais bulls on Brangus & Angus cows? ALso what about Hereford bull on Brangus?

I really like The Hereford over the Brangus, "Super Baldies" you will get all or mostly white and motley faces on Black, brown and red hides. I have even gotten some Tiger stripes with white face from this cross. I like this combo for momma cows.

thendrix":3lst24c9 said:
I never tried it but it seems like a Charolais bull on an Angus cow would give some calving problems wouldn't it?

Just have to make the right selections. Lot of moderate birthweight charolais out there. But most mature cows should be able to dump a 110# calf without problems.

I often use both crosses. The char on brangus will be huge at weaning. The Hereford on brangus will make some nice heifers to hold back for cows. I have some char brangus cows. They make good lead cows. They will lead the others to the back of your place every time you try to handle them. Could be just my luck though.

thendrix":awp2o2sz said:
I never tried it but it seems like a Charolais bull on an Angus cow would give some calving problems wouldn't it?
:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

I see lots of Angus bulls on Superior Auction that are 92+ lbs.

It's all in choosing the right genetics and the right bull....

If you choose the right bloodlines and choose a bull that has smooth shoulders and a smaller head, then you more than likely will not have calving problems.

The Charolais breeders have done a tremendous job at lowering the bw and keeping the ww. I use a lot of DeBruycker and M6 genetics. Most of my bw are 80 -85 #... I'll get a few on either side of that but not many.

Within a two mile radius of me there are over 500 mama cows calved to Char bulls every year. All our mature cow size is in the 11-1200# range. Between us there were 4 calves pulled all year. 3 of em were either breech or had a leg back.

IndianCreekcowboy":1tdag3x6 said:
tncattle":1tdag3x6 said:

I really like The Hereford over the Brangus, "Super Baldies" you will get all or mostly white and motley faces on Black, brown and red hides. I have even gotten some Tiger stripes with white face from this cross. I like this combo for momma cows.

they make great mama cows...

Hi im 14 I was wondering if I needed a hereford or charlay bull for my angus,charlay,and red angus X simmental heifers? Any input?

I like a red bull on char type cows to produce a yellow calf which sells good in my area.I like a char bull on red cattle for the same reason the yellow calf.Would like use a red bull on the angus, Hereford, red limousin red angus .

I sent one of my brangus bulls to the sale today . I'm going this weekend to replace him with a Hereford . I hated to get rid of him but he brought almost 1900 . He was 4 and one of the lady's that works at the barn bought him . Hopefully next year I'll have some super baldies. I used to run Charolais bulls . Great calves heavest weaning weights . The problem I had was they like to fight . I try to breed the cows for 3 months . The rest of the time they are in a small pasture . They would fight tear up fences etc .

tncattle":1j13769d said:

Hereford on Brangus makes for a mighty fine calf that rings the bell at the barn.
I have anger issues with the Char's just can't let one in my pasture. Wore out a set of chains pulling those pallet headed calves in the seventies. I know I see some mighty fine calves out of them and I know the seventies was a long time ago.
Now in all fairness it was our fault we had no clue what an epd was. I just have this reoccuring nightmare when I get to heaven I am going to have bale the good Lord's hay field with my old Krone baler. The other one is I have to be the hand workin Gert's and Char's from my younger day's.

black":354g4lev said:
Hi im 14 I was wondering if I needed a hereford or charlay bull for my angus,charlay,and red angus X simmental heifers? Any input?
I run Char bulls on MATURE cows. I wouldn't use one on heifers no matter his EPDs.

Isomade":2eyhbili said:
black":2eyhbili said:
I run Char bulls on MATURE cows. I wouldn't use one on heifers no matter his EPDs.

my thoughts exactly young feller..........stay away from char bulls on heifers and you'll be happier in the long run.

I have used a Charolais bull for two seasons now and have one drop of calves so far. I have used him over grey and red Brahman cows and a few South Devon cows. Very pleased with the progeny but he is a mean fighting mongrel. He has to be run in a paddock by himself. His progeny thankfully are very quiet. On two ocassions now he's got out of his paddock and had two of my Brahman bulls down on their sides and would have caused them injury had I not put the dogs on him. I actually have only just read that Euro bulls can be somewhat unpredictable with their behaviour. I intend on using him for one more season then off to the chopping block. It will not stop me from buying another after this bull goes. He's a polled bull and has thrown all polls from every cow be it horned or polled. He's given us beautiful fleshed and very long calves.

Attached is a photo of a one of our calves born 2 weeks ago out of a Charolais Bull to one of our Brangus Cows.

2012-02-11_07-18-05_702.jpg

Pineland":12cfpfgg said:
Attached is a photo of a one of our calves born 2 weeks ago out of a Charolais Bull to one of our Brangus Cows.

2012-02-11_07-18-05_702.jpg
That's exactly what you want. Grey calf with a black nose. Will sell with the straight blacks and push down the scales.

Latest posts