Charolais Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

We have been breeding our mixed stock with registered Gelbvieh. Now we are looking to change our bulls to registered charolais. Our biggest fear is that the calves will be too big for our stock. In general do charlolais have a difficult time calving?

The average charlois bull bred to the average cow of a moderate sized breed has a higher possiblity of trouble than if you bred to angus or any other low birth weight breed. They calves will grow well but you need to watch the BW EPD closely.

Agreed, but Gelbvieh heifers seem to be able to squirt out some pretty good sized calves with no problem.

dun

Jake":30qz0l7f said:
The average charlois bull bred to the average cow of a moderate sized breed has a higher possiblity of trouble than if you bred to angus or any other low birth weight breed. They calves will grow well but you need to watch the BW EPD closely.

ajrjdj":1q2pe3dl said:
We have been breeding our mixed stock with registered Gelbvieh. Now we are looking to change our bulls to registered charolais. Our biggest fear is that the calves will be too big for our stock. In general do charlolais have a difficult time calving?
why don't you try Limousin bulls and you will keep your herd RED and will have the same benefits of using Charolais without any calving problem

I dont' use either one but dont you think delaGarza that the white cattle are a little better mothers and have a better chance of a higher quality grade than the limo's

I'd stay away from Limis their are enough high strung ones out there to ruin it for the rest. I'd stick with the Charlois those yellow calves sell well also.

Ollie":3rq78hof said:
I dont' use either one but dont you think delaGarza that the white cattle are a little better mothers and have a better chance of a higher quality grade than the limo's
I have registered herds of both (Charolais herd is larger) and have use both them with my commercials (Simmental based), both breeds are use as terminal breeds so we sell males & females, I prefer the use of Limos because I have less calving problems and color, weaning weights are very similar and as far of quality grade, both breeds are almost equal maybe a little more backfat on the whites. I prefer Charolais with my Romagnola comercial based herd

We've raised reg Charolais since 1969 and our customer base is the commercial cattleman. Our customers have used our bulls on virgin heifers (angus and hereford cross) with no problems.

The breed as a whole has worked hard to reduce the calving problems that have haunted us in the past. Just like the Angus breed there are growth bloodlines that come with higher birthweights and calving ease lines that will give up a little at weaning time. Find a Charolais breeder that will work with you to determine what type of bull would work in your own specific situation. Pay attention to EPD's as well.

Latest posts