Charolais bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Well.
It may not be over for Hank yet.
The one heifer I've been waiting on is bagging up and starting to spring. Could be Hanks, or Big Sexy's. Either way, itll be obvious when it happens....

I think shes at least a week or 2 away yet

Cant tell what color the calf is yet.....
It's either Hanks or Big Sexy's
I'll update soon...
O! This is the heifer I suspect slipped her calf last august. If she slipped a calf is she still a heifer?? 🤔
Hank was here at home briefly with Big Sexy
20210603_200904.jpg

@Ky hills
Did that pretty lil gal have a calf yet?
View attachment 4844
She did and it was quite an event. I usually have our heifers pelvic measured before breeding and cull out any below 150 cm. Well just had five fall heifers to turn out and all but that one were raised here and ours have almost always exceeded that number and figured that since she had some Brahman in her that she would be ok too. Round about December on a cold Sunday night she decided to calve. I knew she was going to have trouble because they were bred to a heifer bull that wasn't, we had already pulled two large calves from others. Got her in the chute and found that she was so narrow could not much more than get a hand in. Took a long time to get chains in even though the feet were coming right. Then when saw the size of the feet I didn't think that we could get it on through. I felt so bad for this poor heifer she was such a calm easy going animal I hate like heck to see them suffer. Called a vet but didn't get a hold of any right away. I'm the mean time she went down and then could see a nose. We figured that maybe by it being that far it might come on and we had to do something. So it was an awful hard pull and not a good situation with her down in the chute but finally got the calf out and could not believe that it was still alive. Then figured the cow was down but she got up fairly soon after but didn't look too promising. She claimed her calf but didn't eat much for a couple days which worried us. By about the 4th day the pair was doing well enough to go out. We recently weaned her steer calf and sadly sold her as did not want to go through another calving with her.

Pretty much the end of the story here, unless I hear something from the folks who bought him.
Dont have anything else that could possibly be bred to Hank aside from Seven, my bottle heifer.

I got 1 live healthy calf from him. My one nut wonder bull did a bang up job instead! Not as exciting an outcome as I was hoping for.
SMDH....

THANKS FOR FOLLOWING ALONG GUYS N GALS!

Well, I guess the story ain't completely over...
Hanks bull calf is growing well. A month younger than the calf on the left out of a different bull. And 2 months younger than the heifer on the right. Unknown sire (bought that lil cow bred)
20210704_091944.jpg
Looks like hes gonna have his daddies horns. He grows good I reckon...

Anybody remember this cow?
Shes done it again. Big fat sausage teats. She calved between noon and 4pm today. I'll be checking her again tmrw. I hope this calf ain't stupid.
Screenshot_20211215-174925_Samsung Internet.jpg20211215_160052.jpg20211215_155852.jpg
I'm going to update Big Sexys thread. But thought I'd update on this cow. I'll let yall know what happens. If she needs assistance she's got to go. Hate that too because she's a great mother and one of my lead cows over there.

Anybody remember this cow?
Shes done it again. Big fat sausage teats. She calved between noon and 4pm today. I'll be checking her again tmrw. I hope this calf ain't stupid.
Don't blame the calf if the cow has a bad udder, she should have been culled long before now. It may sound harsh but I have no use for a cow that can't take care of her calf, that's her job!
You have an employee that isn't working and she needs to be fired….

Don't blame the calf if the cow has a bad udder, she should have been culled long before now. It may sound harsh but I have no use for a cow that can't take care of her calf, that's her job!
You have an employee that isn't working and she needs to be fired….
Agreed!
I seriously hope her and calf take care of this issue without my intervention...
I won't let the calf die, but I'm gonna give it a day.
I was just talking with myself earlier. I said, "self, this ain't worth the trouble and you gotta sell that cow"

Even if they do fine this time, I'm not interested in the worry that it'll bring next time.

Plenty more cows around.

When I ran a registered herd of Charolais we had a range of dispositions like any other breed, but the vast majority of them were absolutely easier to handle than our Herefords and Angus that we have today. I had heard the horror stories of Charolais dispositions of earlier times but by the time I had them that was the exception and not the rule, granted there are always exceptions to the rules.

Really? Maybe you just need a better cow man to handle them.
Thank you for your input, however; your solution negates my competitive advantage of reduced labor
and the expense of another wire and/or other inventory to keep them contained.

Thank you for your input, however; your solution negates my competitive advantage of reduced labor
and the expense of another wire and/or other inventory to keep them contained.
Funny, I usually find the handler has everything to do with how facilities are tested. We have had good and bad cattle here of every shape and size.
It makes me wonder what a cow went though in her life when they get on their knees 40 feet back of the squeeze and never stop bawling until they are turned loose. I can work a 200 head herd of our cows through the alley for vaccinations by myself in the matter of two to three hours because it is not a bad experience for them.
Keeping your eyes on the ball and knowing what a cow is going to do before she does helps a bit outside. I have been fortunate to have been blessed with that gift.

Latest posts