Charolais bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Redgully said:
Very good post. I was once told if you dna test an angus today compared to an angus of yesteryear you will find the addition of chianina genes in there.

Hmmm. Around here I always tell people that "40 years ago Angus cows didn't weigh 1,800lbs and Simmentals weren't black. I wonder what happened ?.?

I owned a Simmental bull back when they were red and white.
I have an Angus now.
If you're going to run a composite like many of today's breeds you should at least advertise it for what it is. The septic tank of Angus genetics. It confuses me to no end how an entire industry was sold black hide versus quality. It was marketing genius!

One of the Angus guys from back then lived about 30 minutes from me. He was part of the whole "Certified Angus Beef Campaign" idea. It was thought up by a few in the Angus Association because back then Angus were all short, squat, and fat and no one wanted them..
The turning point I saw was when Hardee's (Carl's Jr. for you West Coast folks) ran a commercial of a farmer eating a Hardee's burger and saying he could not believe it, they were using real Angus Beef. Then the Angus Association Lobbyists got some favors from their Congressmen and boom it is in the Regs.

You are right, it was marketing genius!

Here is a thread about Hardee's Angus Beef from back in 2007. Lots ou you guys were on it.
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31236

gcreekrch said:
You better have a backstop when the calves start coming. That thing is so narrow he could stick his tongue out and make a zipper shadow.

Might want to AI a few ladies and get a better replacement bull. This 6 month old steer is out of Woodbourn Fame. I regret castrating him...

[image]439[/image]

TwoByrdsMG said:
gcreekrch said:
You better have a backstop when the calves start coming. That thing is so narrow he could stick his tongue out and make a zipper shadow.

Might want to AI a few ladies and get a better replacement bull. This 6 month old steer is out of Woodbourn Fame. I regret castrating him...

Why did you castrate him?

sstterry said:
TwoByrdsMG said:
gcreekrch said:

Took them when he was just a week old. Can't put them back

TwoByrdsMG said:
sstterry said:
TwoByrdsMG said:

Took them when he was just a week old. Can't put them back
Science is doing amazing things these days, I hope you kept them on ice.... :lol2:

gcreekrch said:

Gosh I hope ur right!
Hes on several heifers....
Idk the exact dob but hes a young yearling
"Modern low birthweight charolais genetics"
Bwhahaha

TwoByrdsMG said:
gcreekrch said:

[image]439[/image]

Afta!
Afta afta!
After this season, if everything goes well, dang sure be getting a nice bull for COWS.

So many choices tho...

My dad recently got some charbray heifers. The guy we got them from run registered Charolais as well and his cows didn't really impress me in size but he had the biggest but I had ever seen he said it weighed over 2400 pounds I think over 2500 he got it from a breeder in Florida and swore he was using it as a heifer bull. Now, this is all he said they said stuff so take from it what you will. He's not breeding any heifers to him but he said that is due to his size as far as breeding goes not the calves birth weight. I've always thought Charloais had a lot to offer for size but I like crossbred stuff so I like the uniformity they can bring.

Gonna hope for the best. I'll post some pics later in the summer after hes eaten all the grass over there. Hes on several heifers and some cows too.
As an aside, looks like the prior bulls got a couple bred even tho they checked open in December. Got a couple definitely starting to make a bag. They must've been bred too short to detect I guess? The only bull over there at this time frame was there for 9 days... hope he bred em all honestly.

What you guys think of his daddy?

There is at least 2 heifer bred to this charolais.

The heavier bred could be bred to my bwf one nut bull that I've since sold.

We will see how it goes ladies and gentlemen.
Stay tuned.
Winters coming....

Check Mark's are heifers

TwoByrdsMG said:
gcreekrch said:

[image]439[/image]
Pure char?
That's a nice calf. Maybe it's just the picture but he looks to be dark skinned?

callmefence said:
TwoByrdsMG said:
gcreekrch said:

[image]439[/image]
Pure char?
That's a nice calf. Maybe it's just the picture but he looks to be dark skinned?

Murray grey that one is...

MurraysMutts said:
callmefence said:
TwoByrdsMG said:

[image]439[/image]
Pure char?

Murray grey that one is...

:dunce:

callmefence said:
TwoByrdsMG said:
gcreekrch said:

[image]439[/image]
Pure char?

Not a charolais. He is dark skinned MG

A neighbor that borders one of our places just got a new Char bull. It took him 4 days to tear down a 2 year old fence between us last week. Gave us the old... but I just payed x amount for him. :bang: He's probably going to commit suicide next time after he tears the fence down again.

I've been gauging some wells a few days a week. This bull kind of works his way up and down a county road I have several wells on. His favorite spots is the green grass in these peoples yard but he also likes a low spot where the ditch is real wide and the grass is always green. I see him out and about 3-4 times a week just doing his deal... living the Char life.

Latest posts