Charolais bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

If you were in doubt about him nursing, you did the right thing. I'd rather pull one like that And get something in them, then not and take a chance on coming back to a dead calf and kicking yourself.

I agree with A.J. I think you did the right thing. I've been there before and didn't act thinking it would be ok, and it didn't. Now if there is any problem at all I will take the calf and bottle it and cull the cow.
We currently have five calves on bottles. All are from situations that wouldn't ended well if left on the cow. The reason we have that many is mainly bought some old cows last year and also calved out several heifers.
Had two calves born Thursday morning, one from a heifer and one from a cow. It was 14 degrees, they were cold and hadn't nursed yet, and didn't know exactly what point over night they were born. So we gave colostrum to both just to make sure they got it in time and to give them some strength. Today they are both nursing their mommas and hopping around.

He definitely knows how to nurse. Was concerned about that too.
Went to town on a bottle for about a pint, then just decides he had enough.
I'll get this mess sorted tmrw. Guess I'll get her in the chute and milk her a bit to be sure that part is working correctly.
Whew! What a day.

Watched a C-section on a practically dead cow today (cow didnt make it) too. (Not my cow) Was amazing. Bout a 30 pound heifer pulled out of her. Cute as a button!

Screenshot_20210130-190007_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210130-191749_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
He definitely knows how to nurse. Was concerned about that too.
Went to town on a bottle for about a pint, then just decides he had enough.
I'll get this mess sorted tmrw. Guess I'll get her in the chute and milk her a bit to be sure that part is working correctly.
Whew! What a day.

Watched a C-section on a practically dead cow today (cow didnt make it) too. (Not my cow) Was amazing. Bout a 30 pound heifer pulled out of her. Cute as a button!

View attachment 1941View attachment 1942
Glad he nursed some for you. That makes things a lot easier when you don't have to fight with them to nurse or tube them. What was going on with the cow with the c section with the little calf? Glad the calf made it for them at least.

Glad he nursed some for you. That makes things a lot easier when you don't have to fight with them to nurse or tube them. What was going on with the cow with the c section with the little calf? Glad the calf made it for them at least.
These neighbor cows were bought out of texas. Very thin and bought that way. They expected to lose a few. We were all quite surprised any were bred, they were in such poor shape. Most are doing well tho. This cow was down this morning. One of the thinner ones. Dont know what was wrong but she was obviously dying. She pregged 5 months about 3 months ago. A friend came out and did the procedure in the field. Cow was promptly put out of her misery after the calf was extracted. Was a pretty amazing thing to see!

Limited time this morning. Mama didnt look nursed overnight. Stuck a half a bottle in him. Caught him grinding his teeth. Poor lil fella has had a rough start. I'll update again tonight.

Chute again this evening.
He nursed quite a while with assistance.
He still cant get those front two longer big fat teats figured out. The 2 rear teats he can get. The chute hinders nursing somewhat. But he made a giant poop. So hes eating anyway...

You guys have the equivalent of Borgal or Trimidox there? Dummy calves get a three day treatment here.

You guys have the equivalent of Borgal or Trimidox there? Dummy calves get a three day treatment here.
I've not heard of it.
I think he may be catching on tho.
Biggest problem I think, is he wasnt ABLE to nurse for 2 or 3 days. I think the first time he ate was when I bottled him. And that was 2 or 3 days after he was born. I THOUGHT I saw him nursing when I found him but it was dark..... That really worries me but I'll guess theres no turning back now.

Fed mama this morning, pushed him up to mama and he tried.
I cant believe it, but I reached down and grabbed a teat for him and I didnt get kicked. Small miracles....

Glad he's hanging in there and seems to be some better. If he didn't get colostrum I would keep an eye on his joints and navel and make sure you don't see any swelling in them. He probably won't have any issues with them though. It's frustrating when you get one that has a hard time figuring out nursing, but it's definitely worth the effort to make sure they do ok.

Well, remember when I said we would see how this trainwreck was gonna go and should make for a good story? Lol

So far, the brahma lost hers.

This Calf seems to be coming along now that we got him eating something. Perhaps this is what happened to the brahmas calf. Only the big man upstairs knows i guess.

I'd like to see this one a little perkier bit hes definitely improving. Hes got the 2 rear shorter teats figured out. I'm still in awe that i can grab this cows teat and give it to him without her in a chute. (I'm NOT letting my guard down btw) Just amazing to me. Im very thankful that shes allowing me to help her and her baby. She just seems so understanding that her calf had a problem!
Granted, shes got a face full of feed, but still....

The dog on the other hand almost got his arse stomped! She ain't playin' that game.

Got one heifer bred to this charolais bull and if she has problems it may get real exciting because shes turning into a pistol!

Anyway.
Here's a pic of her being chill.
20210202_184039.jpg

I think we got 'er whooped!
He fed himself tonight and hes much more energetic! No pictures sorry.

But how bout a pic of that lil 28 pound C-section neighbor heifer calf eh?
I bet you'd like to see that! Well would would you? Ok.....
Happy to report shes doing awesome! And she is nursing a bottle nicely. Lil bit at a time. She will be spitting out her own babies b4 we know it!
IMG_7035.jpg

Little silver bull is doing fine. Got to see him in the dark tonight while feeding. Mamas teats are much nicer now that hes been working them a bit. The other calves seem to have taken a shine to him. No pics this evening but here's a pic day after I turned em back out.

The heifer I have here at home is showing no signs yet.
20210207_092352.jpg

And just for S&G.
Lil baby house heffa...(c-section)
Bout 30 pounds now.
Screenshot_20210210-133951_Messages.jpg

Last edited:
Lil booger is doing just fine.
20210213_131704.jpg20210213_132424.jpg

Idk what's up with my heifer at home. She will be the last one to have a calf by the charolais bull. But if she dont start showing signs soon I'm afraid she may have aborted.
When she was pregged we figured January/February calving date. I think. I'll go double check

Dang. She was called 5 months bred on august 10th. Wayyyy overdue then....

Got a somewhat crummy pic of the heifer here at home. I can actually see teats today. Maybe she is starting to make a bag? Idk. I'll keep an eye out.
View attachment 2334
I like the little char cross calf with the molly face. Is that the color calves you'd expect out of a black and white face cow. Looking to make the same cross this spring.

I like the little char cross calf with the molly face. Is that the color calves you'd expect out of a black and white face cow. Looking to make the same cross this spring.
Yep!
The white is optional I think. Never know exactly what you'll get. But usually silver hides.

The only other one I have is out of a char-ish cow and a bwf bull. Has a dash of white on his face as well.
20210213_131806.jpg

Yep!
The white is optional I think. Never know exactly what you'll get. But usually silver hides.

The only other one I have is out of a char-ish cow and a bwf bull. Has a dash of white on his face as well.
View attachment 2577
I'm just scared of dock at the yards. Just depends on the mood of the buyers. I have seen Charolais cross top the market and I've seen them cheap. I also think it depends on who's selling them too someone knows someone lol