charolais bulls on braford cows

Help Support CattleToday:

R-E

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a small heard with this combo, but I also might use the bull on some hotlander, and brangus cows I have. Any ideas?

Sorry, thought you knew by your quote at the bottom of your post. It is a composite made up of Senepol, Simmental, Brahman and red or black Angus breeds. Ours are from the red angus. I don't think much of the hotlander bull we have, but he does breed all the cows and they do have some good calves. One thing I don't like is that the calves aren't consistant in size, that is why i would like to put a charolais bull or some sort of pure blood beef bull on them. I am thinking about culling some of the cows we have and getting brafords though.

This composite is new to me, but seems really interesting. Are they your granddads old cows? Now that I know what they are I will move on to the original subject. I am no fan of charolais, so if you wish for a terminal sire I would rather point toward a piedmontese or limousin. This way calving problems can be avoided and the calves become fleshier!

R-E

Were are you from?
Taking advice from a fellow in another state can get you in trouble. Different climates require different management styles. But taking advice from a guy in sweden. Well!!??!!?! That is unless you are in sweden? :cowboy:

If you are ignore me. If not. Well there are a number of good Chars out there that I wouldnt worry a bit about putting on cows. Most that complain about Chars havnt used a good one or one at all in twenty years???
So the info is alittle dated. A bad bull doesnt make a breed?

A terminal sire is supposed to give good carcass traits, marbling, tenderness and so on. A char do not. He is supposed to sire some extra muscle, but a char gives less muscle than most terminal breeds. A terminal is also supposed to put extra weight on the calve, and this he does alright, because he will give a lot of bone. I realise that every time I try to talk somebody out of chars I come a little bit closer to tn. This is not my intention, but one does not always chose those who share ones opinion.
And another thing, my statements have nothing to do with climate.

This study is about 30 years old, but according to this Chars marble better than Limousin or Piedmontese. Have things changed that much?

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/research/table4.htm

Here is the entire study. If you look at the different tables you'll see that Chars are comparable to other breeds that one would consider terminal. As I said, this study is pretty old, but I find it hard to believe that there is that much difference today.

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:nb ... n&ie=UTF-8

BC":1fi9sukr said:
I like the idea of a Charolais better than a Limousin and a h*ll of a lot better than a Piedmontese.

Then all I can say is: good luck whatever you decide!

ANAZAZI":2n6vd2x0 said:
BC":2n6vd2x0 said:
I like the idea of a Charolais better than a Limousin and a h*ll of a lot better than a Piedmontese.

Then all I can say is: good luck whatever you decide!

Charolais is one of the most popular terminal sires in North America. They add muscle and growth to the calf crop. And I have not heard that they grade any worse than any other breed. In fact, tan calves are often some of the higher selling calves in many sales. Perhaps there is a difference in the types we have here, than the types you have over there. As for calving issues, they can be a problem (but, then that is true of any breed), but if you have knowledge you can easily avoid that. There are many, many bulls out there that will give good calves without having any calving trouble.

And as I type all this, we do not even use Charolais in our herd. But, if I were to start over again, I would use Shorthorn/Red Angus or Shorthorn/Gelbveih cows and breed them Char for terminal calves.

ANAZAZI":36hzb7yi said:
Are they possible to describe?
Hotlander cattle were developed by R. A. Brown Ranches in Texas from a composite of 1/4 each Brahman, Senepol, Angus, and Simmental to establish a breed suited to the Gulf Coast area of the US.

CHHSFFA":2jtguwr6 said:
ANAZAZI":2jtguwr6 said:
Are they possible to describe?
Hotlander cattle were developed by R. A. Brown Ranches in Texas from a composite of 1/4 each Brahman, Senepol, Angus, and Simmental to establish a breed suited to the Gulf Coast area of the US.

Thank you! I love composites but have not read anything about this one.

I am from SE Texas/Gulf Coast of Texas. There are people around that use Charolais, but many use Brangus or Black angus to get the baldie look.

you'll have yellow baldies and they top the sales here...i think the market is favoring heavier weaned calves, and this cross is great for that..

xbred":2hegczmj said:
you'll have yellow baldies and they top the sales here...i think the market is favoring heavier weaned calves, and this cross is great for that..

Yeah I have noticed that we get better money when there around 450-600lbs, but you seem to loose money if their lighter than 450.

I don't know about your cross but Char on F1 Braford Or Brangus bring good money for the terminal market around here. Feedlots love them.

Latest posts