Charolais bull

Help Support CattleToday:

MtnCows93

Reaction score
ive got some crossbred cows mostly angus with some charolais in them. ive been using a angus bull nothing fancy, and im wanting to switch to a charolais bull to get bigger calves at weaning. how much heavier could i expect the calves to be with a charolais? my calves now have been weighing about 500 average at 8 months give or take

Depending on the bull you decide on, I'd say you would be happy with your calves. We took in some Angus cross cows on a calf share deal years ago, and used Charolais bulls on them. Calves looked great. We weaned at 550-650lbs at 5-6 months. Calves were easily 800-1100 lbs at a year. Good luck

Imo a real good angus bull calves will grow as well as a real good charolais calves. What color calves sell better where you are?

MtnCows93":2dx82fr1 said:
charolais calves sell for maybe 5 dollars a hundred less than black calves

Where are you lcoated? It amazes me how the docks differ so much from one area to another.

Imho, the frame/muscle/growth of charlois has been brought down on the breed, to the point that other breeds will add more pounds. I'm sure some breeders have growth oriented charlois available, but not the ones I'm personally seeing.

All other things being equal, I suspect that if Chars were all black, everyone would be saying "Go for it!".

Nothing upsets a black hide feverite more than the mention of "Charolais".

In a little bit someone that had Chars 30 years ago will chime in about big birth weights and ob chains. 9..8..7...6...5....

greybeard":1x321z5u said:
All other things being equal, I suspect that if Chars were all black, everyone would be saying "Go for it!".

Nothing upsets a black hide feverite more than the mention of "Charolais".

In a little bit someone that had Chars 30 years ago will chime in about big birth weights and ob chains. 9..8..7...6...5....
No need you did it for me. The Chars from yesterday aren't the same as today. But I'll never own another Char bull.

I have 6 registered Charolais cows in a herd of angus crossed cows (picked them up when i bought an entire herd) that I run Angus and Balancer bulls with. Sold a steer of one of them the other day just shy of 10.5 months that weighed 935 lbs at the sale yard. The few Chars i have consistently wean calves over 100 lbs more than most of our other cows. But too many whites in a group and that doesn't go over so well at the same yard. You can sneak a few in here and there if they grade well.

yea in in nc, and theres another reason im wanting a charolais bull but i wont say it on here because someone will chew my butt. ive also been watching the calves from another guys operation and he runs angus cows and charolais bulls in about 50 different farms around the area, hes one of the biggest farmers around so maybe he knows something i dont

We are running Char bulls on our Red and Black (Angus x Shorthorn or Hereford) cows. Up here our Char calves have consistently outsold the Black, Red or any other colour by a minimum of $70/head. Our weights are up 30+ lbs over the Angus calves we used to raise.

We just bought this bull, he's 1/2 French, can't wait to see his calves next year.

FB_IMG_1519064816804.jpg

I would try to find out where this neighbor is getting his bulls. I'm sure his supplier would love to work with you also.

MtnCows93":3dto98bz said:
ive got some crossbred cows mostly angus with some charolais in them. ive been using a angus bull nothing fancy, and im wanting to switch to a charolais bull to get bigger calves at weaning. how much heavier could i expect the calves to be with a charolais? my calves now have been weighing about 500 average at 8 months give or take

Just buy better Angus bulls.

MtnCows93":3jyiznej said:
I saw a group of 6 steers. come in the sale today 400 weights all would match great other than 1 char. the others were angus they said they would hold one if buyer wanted them to. They brought 1.92 per pound and he said hold the Char. They then sold it and it brought 2.07 per pound

saw some Char. cross Longhorn heifers they were 450 lbs. Yellow and white with yellow spots and some had 4 inch horns 1.42 per pound

BRYANT":1i72nzlj said:
MtnCows93":1i72nzlj said:
I saw a group of 6 steers. come in the sale today 400 weights all would match great other than 1 char. the others were angus they said they would hold one if buyer wanted them to. They brought 1.92 per pound and he said hold the Char. They then sold it and it brought 2.07 per pound

saw some Char. cross Longhorn heifers they were 450 lbs. Yellow and white with yellow spots and some had 4 inch horns 1.42 per pound

I keep saying there is money to be made by crossing Texas Longhorn cows with a Charolais bull. I think the heifers from that cross could then be crossed with a black Angus bull or a Brangus bull to get a good three-way cross that would sell very well.

A person can start cheaply with some Texas Longhorn cows and build the herd from there.

MtnCows93":2mz3qlwv said:
yea in in nc, and theres another reason im wanting a charolais bull but i wont say it on here because someone will chew my butt. ive also been watching the calves from another guys operation and he runs angus cows and charolais bulls in about 50 different farms around the area, hes one of the biggest farmers around so maybe he knows something i dont

Top cowman in our area runs Angus and Chars. Weans off some monsters. Here's a pic from November '17.

Bullitt":1eeogksh said:
BRYANT":1eeogksh said:
MtnCows93":1eeogksh said:

I keep saying there is money to be made by crossing Texas Longhorn cows with a Charolais bull. I think the heifers from that cross could then be crossed with a black Angus bull or a Brangus bull to get a good three-way cross that would sell very well.

A person can start cheaply with some Texas Longhorn cows and build the herd from there.

Why don't you get some longhorns and give it a whirl, then you can tell how much money can be made.

Sounds to me that is what Bullitt is thinking out loud about doing and just needs a little positive reinforcement
to pull the trigger. No experience here with long horns, so I can't offer any.

rollinhills":1w2plrgj said:
Bullitt":1w2plrgj said:
BRYANT":1w2plrgj said:

Why don't you get some longhorns and give it a whirl, then you can tell how much money can be made.
The subject of Longhorns crossed with Char. has been discuss, debated, and some might would have even got into a fist fight if they had been face to face with each other. They are kind of like Brahmans some like them, some hate them, some places they do well, other places it sounds as if they don't. I sold a heifer this week that was out of a Longhorn/Brahman cross cow and a Angus bull and it was frosted up and showed a lot of longhorn, first time her calf was not solid black. the calf weighed 385 and brought 1.40 but if I had a pasture full of these cows I would breed them to a Char. and I would not mind to have a pasture full of them she is a easy keeper a breeds back fast.

Latest posts