Charolais/Black Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnmtranching

Reaction score
These calves are from purebred Black Angus mothers and Reg Charolais bull.
I took these pics a couple days ago. I will get more.

Twin heifers on their mother.
P1010054-3.jpg

Another heifer calf.
P1010064-1.jpg

That's a very good cross I use a lot myself. Only difference, I use Angus bull on char cows. Get some heavy, well muscled weanlings.

yep it a good cross and popular ........those are good looking calve's ..............i just hate the rats that pop up every now and then... i hate em, i got one now out of one of my best cows.

xbred":1e79nfbs said:
i'm suprised at the color...they look more like a herford/char cross...

I'm surprised too. That cross is basically all I've run for some time, and I've gotten nothing but black and smokes. I'm using a herf bull now and some of the calves look a lot like this one (more white on their face of course). About half are still silver/smokes with a white face.

No Hereford in these calves. There are other color variations. To wet and muddy and cloudy to take pics today. More pics coming.

That's the same color calf I just got out of a white 1/4 Char cow and a Reg RA bull.

Her full sister with the same bull threw a coal blk calf.

i'm really not a bandwagon guy, but the first thing i thought was that these were a redxchar cross...

Looks like a black white faced cow in the background. I would suspect the "purebred" angus cows are Hereford/Angus crosses. These calves inherited the RED gene from dam. Yes, you can expect a "purebred" Angus to throw a red gene "occasionally" but unusual to have two in a row.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":16k3u8on said:
Looks like a black white faced cow in the background. I would suspect the "purebred" angus cows are Hereford/Angus crosses. These calves inherited the RED gene from dam. Yes, you can expect a "purebred" Angus to throw a red gene "occasionally" but unusual to have two in a row.

Funny post :lol: Like you would know :lol: :lol:

mnmtranching":11jpjz3k said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":11jpjz3k said:

Funny post :lol: Like you would know :lol: :lol:
What I "know", is that there is a black white face cow in your SECOND picture, unless my computer is playing tricks on me. That BWF sure looks like a hereford x angus cow to me :banana: or maybe a Simmental x cow. Anyway, I was just saying if you have a BWF cow you might have some angus x hereford cows that are the dams to these calves. And, as I SAID, these calves came out of a cow that is carrying a RED GENE. That's FACT. That's basic 101 GENETICS.
So, not sure how to take your comment - but, as I said, IF YOUR COWS are supposed to be PUREBRED ANGUS, than they are BOTH carrying the resessive RED GENE - and they BOTH passed the red gene to their calf. I was NOT calling you a liar or anything else. Just stating a very COMMON FACT.
Are your cows purebred REGISTERED Angus, and are these two dams related?

Jeanne, What you should do is work on your photo shop skills on those fluffy little county fair type calves, And stay out of things that pertain to to cattle industry. And umm no :shock: there will not be any Simmental "rat tail type cattle in my herd.

mnmtranching":20r695ov said:
Jeanne, What you should do is work on your photo shop skills on those fluffy little county fair type calves, And stay out of things that pertain to to cattle industry. And umm no :shock: there will not be any Simmental "rat tail type cattle in my herd.
Obviously, you are not smart enough to understand what I am typing, so instead of following the train of thought, you are poking sticks.
Don't post pictures and information that you cannot backup or comprehend. The calves you posted DO NOT CARRY A BLACK GENE. Now, if you would like me to explain a little simpler, just let me know. I was being informative to begin with, but you obviously can't understand what I'm getting at.
ONE black gene produces: black, greys, smokeys, browns - any color combination you can come up with using BLACK.
So, since these calves have NO BLACK coloring, they do not carry a black gene.
Hmmm - calves MUST inherit ONE gene from EACH parent. Got the white/diluter gene from the BULL - wonder what color they inherited from their dam - OH, I KNOW!!! they inherited a RED GENE.
I don't know why you turned snotty, but this is just plain facts. And, oh, by the way, you didn't acknowledge whether that is a Hereford x Angus in the background of the 2nd picture. Oh, would you like to borrow someones Photshop program and erase her?

EDIT - OK, Let's start over. I don't know why you got so huffy right from the git go. Noone is saying your cows aren't black or aren't Registered Black Angus. What we (I) am saying is that the dam has to be carrying a RED gene. Since you have a BWF cow in the 2nd picture, I commented that the dams might be AngXHfd (kinda a logical assumption) (or Ang X Hfd X Ang = solid black). Or, I suggested that if they are Registered Angus, that they were carrying a red gene. I asked if the two dams were related, because it would be logical that they inherited the red gene from the same source (sire?). No matter what the dam is - she HAS to be carrying the red gene.
For those of you that didn't see my thread "Calves - Reds, blacks & white face calves" (or something like that) - I posted pictures of my calves and that's what he must be referring to - "fuzzy county fair calves". I'll bump it up so you can find it. mmn - thanks for bringing it up.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":uih0posm said:

This is really a dumb azz statement. :roll: There is NO Hereford in purebred Angus :roll: Notice the BW cow has a black calf? Some people have more then one bull and more then one pasture and know the breeding of their cattle. Hard to figure? I suppose if my dog were in the picture you would think "AHH CANINE INFLUENCE"
I posted the pics to show color variations of F1 Char Angus cross, didn't say they are all tan, I'm saying about 25 %> Most are smokie. Every Charolias bull I've had has thrown some light tan calves. So what? I don't need some smart azz telling me about "red genes". What you don't know you obviously make up. Stick to your back yard Simmentals. Hey! do you know why simmies are so very VERY! unpopular? and have no place in the cattle industry.

mnmtranching":275dzoa2 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":275dzoa2 said:

This is really a dumb azz statement. :roll: There is NO Hereford in purebred Angus :roll: Notice the BW cow has a black calf? Some people have more then one bull and more then one pasture and know the breeding of their cattle. Hard to figure? I suppose if my dog were in the picture you would think "AHH CANINE INFLUENCE"
I posted the pics to show color variations of F1 Char Angus cross, didn't say they are all tan, I'm saying about 25 %> Most are smokie. Every Charolias bull I've had has thrown some light tan calves. So what? I don't need some smart azz telling me about "red genes". What you don't know you obviously make up. Stick to your back yard Simmentals. Hey! do you know why simmies are so very VERY! unpopular? and have no place in the cattle industry.

:shock: I would suspect the "purebred" angus cows are Hereford/Angus crosses :shock:

mnmtranching":1v1zbk03 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1v1zbk03 said:

id like to know...if she don't .......tell us

mnmtranching":330x8ult said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":330x8ult said:

If you would get your hackles down, & just think about what I'm saying. First, there are many "breeders" that call their cattle "purebred" Angus because they are "all black" cattle. You never answered my question as to whether your PB Angus are REGISTERED. There are LOTS of all black cows that do have some hereford in them. That's why I typed Angus x Hereford x Angus = solid black cows.
Char x Angus F1 are generally smokies - very popular cross. But, again I will say, any "tan" calves you are getting out of your "purebred" angus cows are getting the RED GENE from the COW.
You are only showing your ignorance to genetics. Trying to bad mouth me doesn't make you sound any more intelligent about your breeding program - just the OPPOSITE.

id like to know...if she don't .......tell us
alacattleman I totally ignored that part of his rambling. Quality of Simmental speek for themselves. If you would like to explain to us though, I would really like to hear. Especially if he has some current, relative information I am unaware of. I've only been breeding them for close to 40 years. But, oh yeah, what do I know, I raise "fluffy little county fair type calves" (quoted by mnm)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts