Charolais: B Sngus

Help Support CattleToday:

Tomcolvin

Reaction score
I have a Charolais/ Black Angus cross that has a little scours going on. She had this problem about 2 months ago but it cleared up after I added hay and took away the protein tub. I moved her to a new pasture of weeds 2 weeks ago ago. The other cows don't seem to have this problem. Her stool is like soft ice cream texture. It is brown in color (normal). I just lost one cow to a birth problem and another to pneumonia so I Am xtra careful now. Any ideas? The guy I got her from says she has been wormed. I'm thinking it maybe diet related. What do you suspect?

I suspect that you need to find a new source to buy cows from. You have an awful lot of problems. Find someone who will help you learn and will sell you healthy cattle.

A COW WITH A NORMAL LOOKING BROWN STOOL THAT WAS THE CONSISTENCY OF ICE CREAM WOULD NOT CONCERN ME THIS TIME OF YEAR.......BUT YOU ARE SOME SOUTH OF ME SO YOUR GRASS MAY HAVE HARDENED OFF A BIT MORE THAN OURS...oUR COWS ARE JUST GETTING TO WHERE THEY CAN NO LONGER CRAP THROUGH A SCREEN....FRESH GRASS IS A WONDERFUL THING.

SORRY...NOT YELLING BUT DIDN'T REALIZE THE CAPS KEY WAS ON...
:cowboy:

pdfangus said:
A COW WITH A NORMAL LOOKING BROWN STOOL THAT WAS THE CONSISTENCY OF ICE CREAM WOULD NOT CONCERN ME THIS TIME OF YEAR.......BUT YOU ARE SOME SOUTH OF ME SO YOUR GRASS MAY HAVE HARDENED OFF A BIT MORE THAN OURS...oUR COWS ARE JUST GETTING TO WHERE THEY CAN NO LONGER CRAP THROUGH A SCREEN....FRESH GRASS IS A WONDERFUL THING.

SORRY...NOT YELLING BUT DIDN'T REALIZE THE CAPS KEY WAS ON...
:cowboy:

Thanks, that kinda what I thought but you never know. She is a pretty beefed up 3 year old and carries herself well. Eats good and does cow things as she should. Just the scour thing and it's not bad but I was concerned. Don't mind the caps, I can see it better.😋 thanks again.

Tomcolvin said:
If you don't know ok. Read the bottom of your post. Practice it🐂

Sorry if I offended you. Wasn't meant that way at all. Not in the slightest. I will tell you like I tell my wife, if I want to pi$$ you off you won't have to wonder how I meant it because I will do a good job ;-) Again, I was only trying to give you advice.

JMJ Farms said:
Tomcolvin said:
If you don't know ok. Read the bottom of your post. Practice it🐂

Sorry if I offended you. Wasn't meant that way at all. Not in the slightest. I will tell you like I tell my wife, if I want to pi$$ you off you won't have to wonder how I meant it because I will do a good job ;-) Again, I was only trying to give you advice.

No problem. I'm thick skin , I didn't take it as an insult, just thought , like me, you didn't know.

JMJ Farms said:
I suspect that you need to find a new source to buy cows from. You have an awful lot of problems. Find someone who will help you learn and will sell you healthy cattle.

That's a very difficult task. Starting out we were very lucky to have Jack Wall as a county extension agent. He looked at the cows we bought, and then came out unloaded and worked the cattle. Anytime we had questions or problems he was there to help. Seems like most extension agents are crop oriented.

True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:

That's a very difficult task. Starting out we were very lucky to have Jack Wall as a county extension agent. He looked at the cows we bought, and then came out unloaded and worked the cattle. Anytime we had questions or problems he was there to help. Seems like most extension agents are crop oriented.

There's a lot of truth in that. Our extension agent isn't overly experienced with cows but he has the resources through UGA and has always been willing to make a phone call or three and try to help me. Attitude is often more important than knowledge. I use my extension agent frequently.

JMJ Farms said:
True Grit Farms said:
JMJ Farms said:

There's a lot of truth in that. Our extension agent isn't overly experienced with cows but he has the resources through UGA and has always been willing to make a phone call or three and try to help me. Attitude is often more important than knowledge. I use my extension agent frequently.

Greg bailed us out on chinch bugs when our extension agent thought lack of fertility was cause the pearl millet to die,

Latest posts