Charles Mason & Jeremiah Dixon

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
First, what these gentlemen are most known for....

The Mason–Dixon Line (or "Mason and Dixon's Line") was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in the resolution of a border dispute between British colonies in Colonial America. It forms a demarcation line among four U.S. states, forming part of the borders of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia (then part of Virginia). In popular usage, especially since the Missouri Compromise of 1820 (apparently the first official use of the term "Mason's and Dixon's Line"), the Mason-Dixon Line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the Northern United States and the Southern United States (Dixie).[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_Line

Secondly, I noticed some chatter on another thread. In the US Civil War, more people died than any other US war. I have visited many southern war locations. I was wondering if there is still resentment between southerners and northerners as previously defined by war boundaries.

Do speech accent differences make a difference in your friends?

At least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, and some experts say the toll reached 700,000. The number that is most often quoted is 620,000. At any rate, these casualties exceed the nation's loss in all its other wars, from the Revolution through Vietnam.

http://www.civilwarhome.com/casualties.htm

I'm not aware of any resentment toward any northerners here. I do know that many people in my area dislike being characterized as Uncle Tom's or slave owners who fought so they could keep their slaves. This was not the case in my area since we did not own any and were not much better off than they were.

HerefordSire":hllgwx5w said:

Secondly, I noticed some chatter on another thread. In the US Civil War, more people died than any other US war. I have visited many southern war locations. I was wondering if there is still resentment between southerners and northerners as previously defined by war boundaries.

You ain't from around here, are you?
Do a search. Bring yourself up to date on what has been discussed before going over the same ground.

HerefordSire":2knsmupg said:
First, what these gentlemen are most known for....

The Mason–Dixon Line (or "Mason and Dixon's Line") was surveyed between 1763 and 1767 by Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon in the resolution of a border dispute between British colonies in Colonial America. It forms a demarcation line among four U.S. states, forming part of the borders of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, and West Virginia (then part of Virginia). In popular usage, especially since the Missouri Compromise of 1820 (apparently the first official use of the term "Mason's and Dixon's Line"), the Mason-Dixon Line symbolizes a cultural boundary between the Northern United States and the Southern United States (Dixie).[citation needed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mason-Dixon_Line

no.....i wish all yankee's well.................well to the north :p

I wouldn't think so. The Industrial Revolution displaced many, many people (particularly from Appalachia) into the more industrial areas (Cincinatti, Detroit, Philadelphia). Hence, the old lines are very blurred. If I thought there were any resentment anywhere, the areas would be defined by the red and blue areas of an electoral map.

dyates":1z621cjl said:
I wouldn't think so. The Industrial Revolution displaced many, many people (particularly from Appalachia) into the more industrial areas (Cincinatti, Detroit, Philadelphia). Hence, the old lines are very blurred. If I thought there were any resentment anywhere, the areas would be defined by the red and blue areas of an electoral map.
ive been keeping a eye on north carolina, give up on florida years ago

Jogeephus":2rylq6hk said:
I'm not aware of any resentment toward any northerners here. I do know that many people in my area dislike being characterized as Uncle Tom's or slave owners who fought so they could keep their slaves. This was not the case in my area since we did not own any and were not much better off than they were.

I see three types of discrimination in my small town of 10,000.

(1) Racial

(2) Northerners

(3) Non-Upper Middle Class (a group of less than 1000)

Sure you don't see this in your town?

Ryder":dzd69mdq said:
HerefordSire":dzd69mdq said:

You ain't from around here, are you?
Do a search. Bring yourself up to date on what has been discussed before going over the same ground.

Going over the same ground is good. It is like a tractor disc. Levels the gound out, mixed the chemicals evenly, plows the weeds under, etc. This ain't no till planting country around here Ryder. :cboy: :cboy: :cboy:

dyates":38zdb88v said:

Very good point. What about the old family line southerners or the old family line northerners? Since the south lost, could there be an issue only with the southerners toward the northerners?

I am wondering if this is not going on in most Countries a North, South divide, as our Civil war was a lot longer ago than yours and the war we had with Scotland, and there is still animosity going on today with some folks. Does it never end. :?

HerefordSire":2tn5z6js said:
Jogeephus":2tn5z6js said:

I see three types of discrimination in my small town of 10,000.

(1) Racial

(2) Northerners

(3) Non-Upper Middle Class (a group of less than 1000)

Sure you don't see this in your town?

1) Yeah we have a little of that. Some might call me a racist but I don't think of myself as one. If you are a sorry white person who doesn't take care of your family I think of you as white trash. If you are of color I call you the same thing my black friends call you. It only demonstrates our knowledge of french and latin. If for some reason you think I owe you something or have repressed you in some way, look in the mirror and choose the appropriate adjective cause the one who is holding you back is the one you'll see - not me.

2) If you move into our area and want to become part of our community you are welcomed with open arms. However, if you move here and try to poke fun at us or shove your old community's values and ideas down our throats then you will probably be alienated. We don't want to hear how you did it in Miami or New York. If it was that great, we'll help you pack your things so you can go back. We might even pack you a lunch so you don't have to stop.

3) We have a few who think they are better than others due to their "things" but I'm almost positive if I could buy them for what they are worth and sell the for what they think they are worth then I would be richer than Bill Gates.

Jogeephus":1ylkljw9 said:
1) Yeah we have a little of that. Some might call me a racist but I don't think of myself as one. If you are a sorry white person who doesn't take care of your family I think of you as white trash. If you are of color I call you the same thing my black friends call you. It only demonstrates our knowledge of french and latin. If for some reason you think I owe you something or have repressed you in some way, look in the mirror and choose the appropriate adjective cause the one who is holding you back is the one you'll see - not me.

2) If you move into our area and want to become part of our community you are welcomed with open arms. However, if you move here and try to poke fun at us or shove your old community's values and ideas down our throats then you will probably be alienated. We don't want to hear how you did it in Miami or New York. If it was that great, we'll help you pack your things so you can go back. We might even pack you a lunch so you don't have to stop.

3) We have a few who think they are better than others due to their "things" but I'm almost positive if I could buy them for what they are worth and sell the for what they think they are worth then I would be richer than Bill Gates.

Joe...there is one more discrimination in my home town that I can think of (you may need to scroll down to see the article once you get there)...This was written by a woman.

Equal Rights for Men

http://open.salon.com/blog/jodi_kasten/ ... ts_for_men

HerefordSire":32qtkfbo said:
Joe...there is one more discrimination in my home town that I can think of (you may need to scroll down to see the article once you get there)...This was written by a woman.

Yeah, we have that too. Don't look for it to change either. Just keep in mind whose holding the scales of justice and remember the words of one Georgia Judge (who BTW was dethroned by the FBI thanks in some part to the group Father's are Parents Too and who has YET to spend one day in prison even though .... oh well..) "A bad mother is better than no mother".

Doesn't always work in the Mothers favour, when my Husband got divorced he got full custody of his two children. Judge thought he was the best one to guide the children.

Jogeephus":36t2n3gu said:
HerefordSire":36t2n3gu said:

Yeah, we have that too. Don't look for it to change either. Just keep in mind whose holding the scales of justice and remember the words of one Georgia Judge (who BTW was dethroned by the FBI thanks in some part to the group Father's are Parents Too and who has YET to spend one day in prison even though .... oh well..) [b]"A bad mother is better than no mother". [/b]
i don't know about that, i wouldnt wish my mother on anybody :help: .im just thankful we had a saint for a grandmaw...

HerefordSire":2nwpg9vw said:

At least 618,000 Americans died in the Civil War, and some experts say the toll reached 700,000. The number that is most often quoted is 620,000. At any rate, these casualties exceed the nation's loss in all its other wars, from the Revolution through Vietnam.

Is the war over?????? ;-) :)

TSR":3v7kil3b said:
HerefordSire":3v7kil3b said:

Is the war over?????? ;-) :)

That is kind of what I was getting to by the post. I wouldn't come to my town with a northern accent.

Latest posts