Charlais x bremahn crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

lawdawg21

Reaction score
Please excuse spelling :hide:

But I saw a few rather large hefers from this cross. Do any of you have any experience with these long legged ladies???

I've never had any personal experience with them, but I hear they're typically pretty high-headed. Even more than most Brahman crosses.

And since you mentioned spelling first, it's Charolais and Brahman. In case you wanted to know.

I think that's what bodacious was. A red bull on them makes some pretty calves. I wouldnt pay a premium for those cows though.

I just saw a few down here and they were large!!! Waiting to see the calves in a few months to see what they look like. The ones I saw are bred to a angus bull.

Some of the best momma cows I've ever seen. Yes they can be pretty hot especially when they got a baby. You need to know how and be set up to handle them. I love them right up there with Tigers, Brangus, and Beefmaster. Put a Char bull on them and you will be grinning from ear to ear as you drive away from the sale barn with a big fat check.

We had quite a few back in the 80's there not for the faint of heart but raise a fine calf. We used a bramer bull that was gentle as a dog on pb char cows then put a char bull back on the heifers. They don't like strangers and if you handle them methodically they are fine.

wacocowboy":16gpjt9z said:
Some of the best momma cows I've ever seen. Yes they can be pretty hot especially when they got a baby. You need to know how and be set up to handle them. I love them right up there with Tigers, Brangus, and Beefmaster. Put a Char bull on them and you will be grinning from ear to ear as you drive away from the sale barn with a big fat check.

You got that right they are not rookie cattle. Better have some stout pens for the ones I dealt with. Friend had some and they could get high headed quick what I noticed when helping they got more stirred up as a group versus one or two tigers wanting to eat you.
He always had some mighty fine calves out of them. The craziest calves I ever dealt with was when he put a Limm bull on them.

Caustic Burno":2jk6bm4y said:
wacocowboy":2jk6bm4y said:

You got that right they are not rookie cattle. Better have some stout pens for the ones I dealt with. Friend had some and they could get high headed quick what I noticed when helping they got more stirred up as a group versus one or two tigers wanting to eat you.
He always had some mighty fine calves out of them. The craziest calves I ever dealt with was when he put a Limm bull on them.

Yeah they are not for beginners but dang they sure are good girls. Guy I know runs a Char bull and boy those calves are wild as they are big. I think that is the reason they are not more popular.

I've had my share of problems with Limms including walking on ones head while trying to climb a fence and pointing a 12g at one and backing out of a pasture.

They are a popular cross in Northern Australia, they are called Charbray and the %age of Brahman can vary from about 1/3 to 2/3 I think. Jilleroo who used to post on here has a herd of predominantly Charolais cows but also runs some Charbray bulls as well. They are run on pretty big places each paddock would be several thousand acres and the cows would only get mustered once a year. I have never heard her complain about the temperament. I know they have regular buyers chasing their calves. Maybe Jilleroo will read this and chip in, last I heard they had totally destocked and locked up the home place due to the drought and were living in a camp on an agistment property but had kept their cow herd together.

Ken

The biggest positive I saw on my neighbors besides a fine calf was their udders held up well over the years.
Some of the finest calves I ever saw was when he put a Hereford bull on them. I bought one off the trailer when I was hauling for him. Now she is dog gentle except with a new little one she will get in your back pocket.

I went from 81 cows down to 5. I still have my Brimmer/Char cross. My grandsons had a fit when I considered selling the 14 year old gal. They love her and she's always been a favorite. She is an easy keeper. My wife won't quit petting her. The cow was about 11 years old when we got married. Anyone can walk up and scratch her and she loves it. Calm as a cucumber. One of the best I have ever owned and she is indeed an F1.

Her daughters (F2's or F3's) have been light on the udders. I don't know why. We wanted to retain them but haven't been able to do so.

The cow herself has calved every 11 months or so since she was 2. Lots of milk. Calves have always been thick and good sellers. She's been crossed with angus, brangus, and char bulls throughout the years.

She'd make liars out of anyone who says they are high strung. Perhaps she is simply unique and does not adhere to the rules. :)

I have had several over the years. All true F1 cows. None of these were really all that bad to handle. An acquaintance raises charlois. He AIs everything. I have often wanted to see if he'd use Brahman semen on about 5 of them if I'd promise to buy all 5 calves even if they were Bulls.

Latest posts