Chariot races and Wyoming cowboys (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
Thought y'all might like to see them. I just happened to stop by the ranch when the annual chariot races were held, so... enjoy!

Outriders waiting in between races
riders.jpg

Coming out of the starting gate
start.jpg

Down the homestretch
team3.jpg

Bringing another team to the gate
teamstogate.jpg

Outrider on the move
outrider.jpg

Teams
team5.jpg

team1.jpg

team2.jpg

Take a good look at the right wheel on this chariot
team4.jpg

...it came off about 50 yards later, driver actually managed to keep everything upright and rode it out, but that was almost a BIG wreck :eek:

Hanging out at the pickup
wyoming11-29-08058.jpg

Kids watching the races
wyoming11-29-08031.jpg

Outriders coming back at the end of the day
trioinduststorm.jpg

milkmaid said:
Thought y'all might like to see them. I just happened to stop by the ranch when the annual chariot races were held, so... enjoy!

I would enjoy more detail. Is this one ranch? Or a community? How did this get started?
Seems like fun.

Is that Charlton Heston in one of those chariots? ;-) They must be very serious about the race from the looks of those starting gates. That's not something you would see just sitting around on most ranches.

That chariot riding looks like a heck of a lot of fun, but thing that caught my eye was the Palamino saddle horse. That's a good looking stout ranch horse. Looks like he could pull a tank. I'd love to see him in person.

Those are some great photos!! I think if I was gonna be racing one of those chariots, I would put on a more sturdy axle and wheels!! :nod:
Thanks for sharing.

john250":2ajo04v6 said:
milkmaid":2ajo04v6 said:

I would enjoy more detail. Is this one ranch? Or a community? How did this get started?
Seems like fun.

It's actually one of many chariot races held around the state of Wyoming. I'm not sure when it was first started... from the sound of it they've been held in this location for a good 20 years or more. They did say that typically they're run on sleds, not chariots, but since there's been a drought of sorts in this area for some 10 years, pretty much everyone runs on wheels now. They run about 1/4 mile race - straight - no turns, and the outriders help them stop after the finish line. The horses only have one speed (fast) and only one gear (forward) and no brakes. :lol2:

milkmaid":31evklo9 said:
john250":31evklo9 said:
milkmaid":31evklo9 said:

Seems like fun.

It's actually one of many chariot races held around the state of Wyoming. I'm not sure when it was first started... from the sound of it they've been held in this location for a good 20 years or more. They did say that typically they're run on sleds, not chariots, but since there's been a drought of sorts in this area for some 10 years, pretty much everyone runs on wheels now. They run about 1/4 mile race - straight - no turns, and the outriders help them stop after the finish line. The horses only have one speed (fast) and only one gear (forward) and no brakes. :lol2:

Sounds like the horse I owned. (Past tense--owned.)

Latest posts