Charging heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
We have an 11 month old heifer that charged at us the other night. We were holding buckets of feed and thought she may have done it to get to the feed. Is it more likely that she just wanted the feed, or could she be mean? Do cattle generally charge at people in order to get food? Anyone else ever have this problem?

hi an welcome.id say when she saw an heard the bucket rattle.that she was just coming to the feed.cattle will sometimes run over you to get to the feed.but id still keep an eye on her when your feeding.just tobe safe.scott

I have a heifer I am raising as a replacement and she will sometimes come running in the pen shaking her head like she is going to butt me. This happens only at feeding time. I have seen this happen many times with replacements I have raised. They get excited, want to play, and want to eat. Of course I didn't see how yours acted. I can tell when one is playing with me and when they aren't.

mcdowedd
Welcome to the boards
She is going to do whatever she can to get to the feed yes.
Butt,push,kick,walk over you,hook the bucket with her head and spill it everywhere...
Like bigbull said never take an eye off them and keep the other eye on your exit just in case. A sack of feed is cheaper than a broken ankle.
You might consider trying to keep the animals seperate from the trough till you get the feed put out.Panel off a feed area that has gate controlled access.
I use a 30" piece of 1 1/2" polypipe to the nose to teach them to stay away from the bucket/sack. Once the feed is in the trough it's the 1 second rule as far as they are concerned.

I charged a heifer one time.........................

Had to pay for her within 30 days though. :roll:

Alot of times when carring feed or even a bucket you will have some that will charge right up to you. I have some that will stop up close and others that will almost knock me down to get at the feed, not with intentions of getting at me but rather to get feed. I close my corral gates and feed and then open them up.

Try getting out of the way with 5 horned cows coming after feed, learned to shut gate and feed and then open gate up for them. :) JHH

I will set up a system for feeding them where they can't get to me. Thanks for the advice! I love this discussion board..I have learned so much from reading all of the past posts.

It is funny how nervous the young ones get at feed time. I guess you take mom's place and they are ready for you to show up. They want to beat the other one to the feed. I would guess that she is just boiling over with anticipation of eating. Sort of like a kid getting a new bike. You know how they jump and squeal. Just let her know you are the head cow. I have one that gets excited over the feed and slings her head at times when the others are around. If she is close to me, I usually swat her on the nose to let he know if any head slinging is going on, I'll be the one to do it.

I'm with Chuckie. Few years ago the Mrs "I cant be mean to animals" got hurt by a heifer bulling on her. The heifer would always butt her when small "playing" the Mrs. called it. You have to let them know you're boss cow otherwise you are just part of the herd. Some will think you are boss, some won't. The Mrs. whaps with a stick on the nose now.

My dog stands in the feedbunk keeping them at bay until I get the feed out.It is really a sight to see. ;-) :cboy: :)

DSCN8879.jpg
[/img]

If they think they can do this they will. Best thing is a axe handle to the head. If they know they are bigger than you they won't respect you. A axe handle to the head makes them think "hey this weird thing on 2 legs is really bigger than me". Don't let them eat out of the bucket while it is in your hand, if you do they will try to do it all the time. I never pet or play with a small calf. When they get bigger they still want that special place behind the ear scratched. They can hurt you and not mean to. Get their respect early and they will remember it. If you get the upperhand early on you wont have to resort to the axe handle. It may sound meam, but being mean is better than being hurt. ;-)

the best way i've found to stop a charging heifer is to take away her credit card.

As one of the more seasoned contributors has previously and eloquently stated...."the stomach is thirty times the size of the brain".....figure which one takes over.
Rattle a grain bucket around here and see which cow responds...they all do.
Dave Mc

In reply to Bama's post, I did play with and pet her when she was smaller...fed her out of my hand and bucket too. Then one day she charged at me. I see now that I caused it by not letting her see who is boss.

Now that the damage has been done..can I still show her who is boss, or is it too late?

I don't think it's too late. But it's like having an out of control teenager. You should've nipped it earlier. The Mrs. has a 6 month old bull right now from the neighbors that his kids played "tackle" with when younger. Now he's #400+ and still wants to play, so the neighbor gave him to us before his kids get hurt. He gets a few whaps on the nose everyday, but is getting better. Carry a big stick McD. She can still be your friend and eat from your hand, but she can do it with respect. Good luck, and be careful.

Cows can be just like people. Some are mean and some are nice. I sell the mean ones. It's not worth keeping one if she is going to be constantly chasing me up a tree!

Now, if she has just calved and is protecting her calf, that's a completely different matter.

i always carry a stick with me to keep them back, i hardly ever need it, but sometimes they are frisky and come running. and you always have one who wants the bucket. no, no , bad cow.

Latest posts