Charge for sides of beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Bcompton53

Reaction score
I have two steers I've fed out, and I'm selling as halves to a couple folks. Any idea what is the going rate for halves on the rail? Or what's the best way to price them?
Thanks!

I charged $2.00 a pound last year on one I needed to move or buy another freezer. A couple years ago I was getting $3.25 a pound. That is hanging weight. They paid the cut and wrap. I paid the kill fee.

I go to the USDA daily value report and price it the day of delivery. I choose "choice" and that is my price. Today it is $2.14/ hanging weight.

circlebllc said:
I go to the USDA daily value report and price it the day of delivery. I choose "choice" and that is my price. Today it is $2.14/ hanging weight.

Can you feed a beef as cheap as the feedlots? If not how can you sell at their price. Here good farm raised beef hanging weight will be 2.75 for grain fed up to 4.50 for the grass fed.

kenny thomas said:
circlebllc said:

Can you feed a beef as cheap as the feedlots? If not how can you sell at their price. Here good farm raised beef hanging weight will be 2.75 for grain fed up to 4.50 for the grass fed.

Plus processing fees?

Bcompton53 said:
kenny thomas said:
circlebllc said:

Plus processing fees?

At 2.75 yes, at 4.50 it includes pick-up and delivery.

Bcompton53 said:
I have two steers I've fed out, and I'm selling as halves to a couple folks. Any idea what is the going rate for halves on the rail? Or what's the best way to price them?
Thanks!

Three options - live weight, carcass/rail weight, or price per lb of actual meat. We've found that our customers only really understand the last option and are mostly interested in how much freezer space they need and what the total final bill is.

We provide all three weights on our invoice but highlight the comparison to supermarket meat pricing per lb.

I sell halves based on carcass weight (including Heart Liver &Tongue - their choice to take or not, but they pay for it).
I charge $3.25/lb. They pay cut, wrap, freeze & kill charge. Same people keeping buying, so must be worth it to them.
I also sell (shhhh) hamburg to friends for $4/lb and they rave about it compared to store bought.

$4.95/HCW, I pay cut and wrap and will deliver if located between farm and processor...otherwise customer picks up at processor or farm if located on opposite side of farm from processor. Works extremely well for us. I will add that our processor keeps going up and today is at $.72/lb HCW for processing. 2 years ago, they were at $.60. I like the $.60 better, but can see they are making changes and updating facilities so its not QUITE as hard to swallow.

That's not grass-fed either. Good ol' grain-fed beef!

I charge $3.25 on the rail for grain fed quarters and I pay all the fees, price is $3.00 if they buy a half. I'd look to see what the market is in your area, my prices are inline with my competition.

Just sold 3 head in December, kept a quarter for myself and the wife, and for the rest we sold it by the quarter or half for $4.00 per pound hanging weight and that included ALL costs, and we pick it up front he processor and deliver it to our customer's front door for that price.

Latest posts