charbray crosses

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

can anybody suggest a breed of bull for my charbray heifers[resistance is
important but i don't want to use brahman]

a real shocker that la4angus would recomend angus. This is the breed board so I guess it's expected that each rep. would suggest his own.
It sounds like you're in the south, since I don't know about the south I'll just keep my oppinions to myself. I've traveled in Mexico alot and you don't see alot of Angus down there.

Well what's wrong with Lloyd suggesting either Angus OR Angus Plus, the later of course having some Brahman influence, albeit less than 3/8'ths? He (la4angus) is in the deep south and raises Angus, apparently successfully. If a man isn't confident in and/or proud of his chosen breed then I'd say he really hasn't chosen the right breed afterall. Why not go ahead and share your opinion with the original poster, even though you are in Missouri.

BM posted that resistance is important but that he did not want to use Brahman. I assume he mean't heat-humidity-insect-parasite resistance. Based strictly on my experiences I would suggest that BM use a black Brangus bull or if he wanted to get maybe a little less ear in the calves to use the AngusPlus or even Angus --- and just plan on probably having to give a straight Angus bull a little more care & management than he would a Brangus.

I didn't mean to sound nasty about la4angus recomending angus. But it is very rare on any breeds board that anyone recomend anything other than what they raise. As you said if they didn't believe their breed was the right answer they wouldn't be raising them. I appoligize.
I would recomend Red brangus or Braford. With light colored heifers I think you would get a more marketable calf. Make better replacements for the south and get some much needed british blood in your herd without weakening resistance too much.
As you said I live in missouri and my few straight angus cows get hot at times in the summer, I figure they get hotter in the south than they do here
Mountain William

If you check many of the replies that are posted on breed subjects a significant number of them do take into consideration geographic area and the market the producer is trying to reach.
But generally one will tend to recommend those that they have the most experience with.

dun

hillbilly":2x9ob6yp said:
I didn't mean to sound nasty about la4angus recomending angus. But it is very rare on any breeds board that anyone recomend anything other than what they raise. As you said if they didn't believe their breed was the right answer they wouldn't be raising them. I appoligize.
I would recomend Red brangus or Braford. With light colored heifers I think you would get a more marketable calf. Make better replacements for the south and get some much needed british blood in your herd without weakening resistance too much.
As you said I live in missouri and my few straight angus cows get hot at times in the summer, I figure they get hotter in the south than they do here
Mountain William

dun":1hb2mun2 said:
If you check many of the replies that are posted on breed subjects a significant number of them do take into consideration geographic area and the market the producer is trying to reach.
But generally one will tend to recommend those that they have the most experience with.

dun

hillbilly":1hb2mun2 said:
Mountain William
I agree with Dun.
As you will notice the original annonymous guest poster of this subject has given us no indication of geographical location of the cattle.We don't know what he wants them resistant for. Heat, insects, cold or what. It is hard to even attempt to answer a question if you have no idea what the question is. :x
Hillbilly, the Angus would give the much needed British Blood, AngusPlus would give more than Brangus, Brangus would give more Brahman Blood, which the Guest plainly states that he doesn't want.
Angus do very well in the South. :p :p
By using an Angus bull the calves would be only 1/2 Angus.
If he is looking for resistance to heat, humidity, and insects the calves would still have 3/16 Brahman Blood, if they are from true Charbray dams. :) :)

Might research a British White bull, I have been impressed with the breed.
I'm a polled Hereford man. I picked up three white heifers, so far I like what I see.

Latest posts