charbray bull - what do you think of him?

Help Support CattleToday:

jilleroo

Reaction score
I went around the watering points yesterday, actually remembering to take the camera. Took lots of pics to post but....it would only let me upload one! So randomly chose this bull. He is roughly 3/4 char 1/4 brahman. We've used him for a couple of years and like his calves - no calving problems. He was just about to jump on a cow, hence the goofy expression - you can just see the end of her tail in the pic!
silverbull.jpg
Any criticism of him welcome, I always want to learn.
Will try to upload some pics of females later.

Yes, when breeding charbrays, we've found that a little bit of brahman goes a loooooooooong way! We breed him to straight charolais cows and charbray cows with a high charolais content. (There's several other bulls in the same paddock too.)

that is one impressively thick and muscled bull!
Looks strong in most aspects, maybe his foot angle is a little bit off?

ANAZAZI":1t1in6dw said:
that is one impressively thick and muscled bull!
Looks strong in most aspects, maybe his foot angle is a little bit off?

His pasterns is still very much within the accepted range, I think what you are seeing is his heel is a bit shallow.

Very well muscled bull, if you can make a crossbred bull work for you he will do as well as any.

jilleroo":199hvd2e said:
Yes, when breeding charbrays, we've found that a little bit of brahman goes a loooooooooong way! We breed him to straight charolais cows and charbray cows with a high charolais content. (There's several other bulls in the same paddock too.)
ive found that to, you cant find a charbray that looks like that here........ and im not a fan of em

I guess that bull is about 5 years old now - he's still very sound, which is good as he cost $6000. He a very thick bull too, and tall, would like to know what he weighs. To be our ideal bull, he would have less hump. Not much else about him we don't like, his sheath is good, and his temperament. We have a few others by the same sire, some of which are equal to him, but one has "cow" back legs. Will get a pic if I come across him. Have been trying to post more pics but neither ranchersnet nor photobucket like me at present!

Dam good bull. He looks like a generational bred Charbray rather than just a crossed one. It's still hard to find a Charbray that isn't just a crossbred if you know what I mean. By generational I mean Charbray over Charbray for years, not just a Brahman over a Charolais or vice versa.

Yes, he is a generation bred Charbray, Colin, not a first cross. We don't buy brahman x char bulls.

Latest posts