Characteristics you look for in herd bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Personally, I look for length, depth, muscling (big butts), big testicled, doscile animals and the best epds I can find.

When you guys look for a bull, what characteristics do you look for?

I would add youth, which had better equate to vigor and virility (i.e. professional enthusiasm) once he hits the ground at his new home.

Craig-TX

E.P.Ds are the first thing, then pedigree because there are certain bloodlines I won't even look at, but physically: length, depth of chest, muscling (entire body), head structure, sickled hind legs, size of testicles, and a few extras that depend on the people we're buying from.

(red angus quote) the best epds I can find. (quote)
The best EPD's for one herd may not be the best for another.
What do you consider the best EPD's?

la4angus":uvrf6lwh said:
(red angus quote) the best epds I can find. (quote)

AMEN- What works on one set of cows won't on another- what is good for one area might be a disaster in another. You have to have a game plan to go along with and match to those EPD's.

Disposition is numero uno at our outfit. If the first thing I notice is head throwing and snot blowing, I don't care what he looks like or what kind of numbers he's got.

Bulls are kinda like women. No matter how good they look, if you can't get along with 'em there's no point in keeping 'em around. :lol:

Texan":20s42o3g said:
Disposition is numero uno at our outfit. If the first thing I notice is head throwing and snot blowing, I don't care what he looks like or what kind of numbers he's got.

Bulls are kinda like women. No matter how good they look, if you can't get along with 'em there's no point in keeping 'em around. :lol:

Amen and add fence fighting with the neighbors bull.

red angus quote) the best epds I can find. (quote)

I want epd's in the top 25 % on bw, ww, yw, along with + REA and marbling. I don't necessarily agree with what works in one area will not work in others. What do you mean?

redangus":3ei2s8p1 said:
red angus quote) the best epds I can find. (quote)

I want epd's in the top 25 % on bw, ww, yw, along with + REA and marbling. I don't necessarily agree with what works in one area will not work in others. What do you mean?

Every farm/ranch has different needs based on environment, managment, genetics. If the cattle are on high quality and quantity forage or drylotted shortlegged cattle work great. If on range you need a lot more leg to cover the territory.
Seems to me that everyone has missed the first and most important criteria for bulls or cows. Feet and legs. Doesn't matter how great the EPDs are, how much muscle or how great a disposition. If they don't have a solid foundation they're pretty well useless.
No sense in having a Ferrari if it's got bald tires on it.

dun

My herd has mudgrips and turbodiesels. Haven't won any stock car races yet, but they keep on ticking, don't burn a lot of fuel and don't stick easily.

I agree with Dun regarding the legs and feet. Our bulls have to cover a lot of ground during breeding season (and a lot of cows). A bull that's post legged or sickle hocked will break down faster than one with correct confirmation... and a bull with bad feet won't make many calves because he can't travel to service many cows.

EPDs are a good tool, but like many others I like to see a bull that's long, deep through the chest, clean fronted and with a nice wide loin. Large scrotal circumference is also right up there on the list, along with a reasonable birthweight. Kind of like Goldilocks ... not too fine; not too coarse; just right!

Take care.

EPD's are the starting point when we look for a bull.. then disposition, and PROGENY. I stated in a previous post, we've been fortunate in the past few years in buying older (3 - 4 year old ) bulls that are proven and have calves on the ground to evaluate. The one we bought in March (4 year old) is an outstanding bull.. and very reasonably priced.

Latest posts