Character counts

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig-TX

Reaction score
Below is an email that recounts what's been going around verbally in central Texas this week since the tragedy. I don't personally know this family but I know quite a few families that do know them. The sender's name is removed for obvious reasons. For what it's worth...

Craig-TX

I don't know what your feelings are on President Bush, but I thought that this letter was worth forwarding. I feel that it was a very thoughtful & honorable thing that our President did (or had done) for this family.

Hello Everyone.

I just wanted to pass this information along to each of you so you know what a truly compassionate and caring man we have in President Bush. My first cousin, Shawn Kettler, and his wife, Suzanne, and daughter, Laramie, lost their 6 year old son, Sam, in a drowning accident this last Saturday (March 6th), outside Gatesville. They all live within a few miles of the President's place in Crawford TX.

Sam and a young friend of his were walking around a tank when the mud gave way and Sam fell in the tank. The tank is a spring fed tank, and Sam Was sucked under the water into a "sink hole" where the spring came into the tank. His little friend tried to get him out but was unable to reach him, so he ran about 200 yards to his house and told his grandmother. The grandmother called 911 then went to the tank, but was unable to even see Sam.

Sam's father and a volunteer fireman arrived first and began diving into the tank but were unable to locate Sam (I believe they said the water was about 10 feet deep). The Deputy Sheriff that received the 911 call was at the entrance to President Bush's ranch when the call came in. He told the Secret Service agents at the gate what was happening and they, in turn, radioed the ranch house. President Bush told them to "Go – take all the men and equipment you need and just go". He also sent his personal physician and his helicopter over to the tank.

Sam was finally located and pulled from the water by one of the Secret Service agents (I believe there were 5 agents there all total). There was a faint pulse but they could not revive little Sam. President Bush's Doctor began working on him and they loaded him into the Presidential Helicopter and took him to Hillcrest Hospital in Waco.

The doctors there worked on him for awhile, but he had been under water for 45 minutes, so there was really no hope for his recovery. And, had he survived, he would never have been the same.

Sam was truly a unique little boy who lived life to the fullest. And he loved the fact that "George Bush, the President" had chosen to live so close to his house.

When the family went to the funeral home in Gatesville on Sunday to make the arrangements, they were told everything had been paid for by an anonymous donor. After much "detective" work, it is believed that President Bush is that anonymous donor.

I just wanted all of you to hear this story so you know what a true gentleman our President is. And I ask that you pray for my family as they deal with this tragedy. And, lastly, please pray for our country and President Bush as he attempts to hold it all in place.

Don't ever forget to tell everyone close to you and possibly, some of those not so close, how much you love them. Tell them everyday because life is short and very unpredictable.

The liberals will never understand that a man is known by his actions, not his words. With an example like that no words are needed. My sympathies and prayerful thoughts to the family and friends.

Latest posts