Channel Cat

Help Support CattleToday:

lilmac":2vd2f9ai said:
Jogeephus":2vd2f9ai said:
Best way I've found to skin the smaller ones is to use one of those skinning pliars designed for it. I just cut the skin around the head and put one slit down from the neck to the anus and grab the skin with the pliars and pull. Usually can skin one with one pull.

Diddo, I nail the head to a tree, gut them, slice through the skin around the head behind the gills like jo said and using the skinning pliars, pull the skin down to the tail, and you are good to go.
Once that is done and they are batterd, and the grease is hot, call me.
To know if the grease is hot enough to fry fish, throw a wooden match in the grease. When the match lights, it is ready.
Mac

I do about the same way,I nail a nail in a tree and cut the head of the nail off bend it in an upward hook
and sharpen it.I then stick the cat on it with his back facing me,cut around his head,down the belly to the tail and then down his back to the tail.Then just peel off the side with pliers.

Havent done the grease explosing thing though.

Cal

We used to use that match trick all the time, until we got prosperous enough to buy a thermometer... :cowboy:

Always seemed to be right on the money. Hadn't even thought of that for many years.

Heres a tip for those of you throwing matches in grease.When the grease catches fire you have to smother it .That's firefighting 101 also they taught us in same class not to set grease on fire.

By the way Joe nice catch.

My parents had 40 acres with an acre pond. We used to catch 28 to 32" cats, regularly. We introduced a few hundred crawdads. Then we stocked it with crappie and largemouth bass. We rarely caught the cats anymore because they weren't hungry. Caught as many crappie as we wanted and had a great time catching 5# bass before they sold the place. Went back a year later and fished the pond. Got one cat of 29", caught and released over a dozen bass and went home with a bucket full of crappie for dinner. Sure miss that pond. :tiphat:

gimpyrancher":17zuiobm said:
My parents had 40 acres with an acre pond. We used to catch 28 to 32" cats, regularly. We introduced a few hundred crawdads. Then we stocked it with crappie and largemouth bass. We rarely caught the cats anymore because they weren't hungry. Caught as many crappie as we wanted and had a great time catching 5# bass before they sold the place. Went back a year later and fished the pond. Got one cat of 29", caught and released over a dozen bass and went home with a bucket full of crappie for dinner. Sure miss that pond. :tiphat:

The cats I cleaned the other day were full of little crawdads. Didn't stock them so I guess the birds brought them in. Best bait I've found to date for this pond are those great big white grubs that are under bales of hay. Fish can't seem to get them off hook and only the bigger ones seem to be able to wrestle them.

We like them about 12" or less. That seems to be the best tasting ones. I can't swear for sure one way or another whether they reproduce in our pond or not, but I have seen some fingerlings in the last couple of years, so something is going on.

Great looking fish Jo!

Latest posts