Changing your mind

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I cut a field of hay yesterday morning and the weatherman called for 20% chance of rain till Thursday. Planned on baling it Monday. About 3:00 am I was awakened by a rumbling. Went outside and low and behold it was pouring down rain. Brought up weather on the computer and the weatherman must have change his mind and changed the chance of rain to 60% sometime during the night and 40% for today then back to his original schedluled 20% till Wednesday.

In light of this, I decided to change my mind too and decided I best just uncut the hay. The 20% saga continues.

The only job I know of that you can be wrong most of the time and still keep it . No matter how many times they get it wrong, we will still get up every morning and hang on every word :D . Looking like rain here too, but we could use a couple of inches with no problem . Sorry about the hay Jogee, if it makes you feel any better I'll bet our great grandpa's had the same trouble .

Larry

some years its just down right hard to cut hay an get iut baled fore it gets wet.

So far for the dairy we've cut 3 alfalfa cuttings (in different fields) with plans to square bale it. Haven;t got a square bale yet, but there is another field that's ready to cut, maybe that one will work out.

Just got about an inch of rain. Anyone got a match? I'm seriously considering recyling the nutrients cause I really don't want to fluff all week. I'm just glad it didn't rain on last week's cutting.

It seems that the 20% chance always gets me more than the 50% chance. The best thing I have found is to ignore the local forecast and look at the national one. Look for high pressure.

like ive said when cuttin' hay the 20% actually means, 100% chance it will rain over 20% of the area it was forcast for....... which is right over the top of your downed hay :nod:

ALACOWMAN":4padgjb9 said:
like ive said when cuttin' hay the 20% actually means, 100% chance it will rain over 20% of the area it was forcast for....... which is right over the top of your downed hay :nod:

Ain't that the truth. Garden is loving it.

I guess that's one way of getting rain - cutting your hay field. Maybe I ought to try that myself. But I think I'll wait until after Ike to see if we get anything out of him.

Here in my area, if at least some a ya hay didn't get rained on this year, then ya didn't DO any hay this year. :D :mad: :D

Jogeephus":2a44vzy2 said:
In light of this, I decided to change my mind too and decided I best just uncut the hay. The 20% saga continues.

Wishin I could get me onna them hay uncutters.

Rookie":1900n588 said:
Jogeephus":1900n588 said:

Wishin I could get me onna them hay uncutters.

Wish I had the need of a hay cutter. :nod:

40% chance today. Threatened rain but none showed up. Got it baled. Color was a little bleached but at least it dried.

There hasn't been rain forcasted much around here.

They missed it today and I'm fairly thankfull for it.