Changing the Food Service Tipping System

Help Support CattleToday:

Goal number one is to not eat out, and I've never worked at a restaurant. That'd make me not know too much. I'm thinking if I was a waitress, I wouldn't like that.

It's a bad idea. Good service should be rewarded with a good tip. Pooling tips would mean everyone got paid the same, regardless of the quality of their work. But hey, we all have to be equal, right?

My wife waited tables for more than 20 years, and made good money. She was also very good at it. It's actually quite a bit of work to do it right, and just like anything, the best of their craft should be rewarded. I hope global warming causes all the snowflakes to melt.

There's one restaurant I eat at, that pools the tips... You don't know which waitress will show up next.. I order from one,another brings it..tea refill is up in the air.. Have to tell them what I have.. Any condiment might make it to you eventually.. While your meal cools off..or you can go ahead and start eating, about halfway through, it'll show up..

For this to work, the tip would have to be added to the bill like another tax. So, there will be a law passed that a 15% tip must be added to all food service bills. This will save customers from having to calculate 15%. Everybody wins!

ga.prime":1bur2njj said:
For this to work, the tip would have to be added to the bill like another tax. So, there will be a law passed that a 15% tip must be added to all food service bills. This will save customers from having to calculate 15%. Everybody wins!

Everybody wins whether or not they deserve to. NO WAY. I used to waitress. Several different places. Small local coffee shop, cocktail waitress, big resort that did banquets. The banquets were pooled, as the group charged had a built in tip and all servers got the same. All in our paycheck. BUT we had a very good dept, everyone did everything, often times a big group and a smaller group....some stayed late, some got to leave early. WE ALL WORKED TOGETHER. Was very fair and the sooner we all got the work done, the sooner we all got to leave. If you worked an early group this time, you worked a late staying group the next time. But even on, say New Years Eve parties; if you were given a cash tip by someone you were taking care of, it belonged to you, not to be pooled with anyone else.

Cocktail waitressing, you kept your own. You tipped the bartender that was making your drinks for your customers. People chose to sit in your section if you and they were regulars. It waqs hard work and long nights.

Coffee shop. You had a section, it rotated every day so no one got stuck with the counter and short section. Regular customers would come in everyday for breakfast. You knew what time they would be there. Often had their preferred table set up, coffee on the table and if they said their "regular" it was on the table ready to eat in 5 min or less. They appreciated the service and tipped accordingly. You took good care of the busboy that was cleaning your tables for a faster turnaround. Nope, won't waitress anymore and if I did, it would not be in a shared place except like the banquets.... Not fair. And I don't think everyone deserves a blue ribbon if they aren't the best.

ga.prime":320u3huh said:

And doing it that way a server can't hide any from the gubmint. I had a time clock that would also allow tips to be entered so I could make sure the servers were making minimum wage. It was funny that each one of them made exactly minimum every week. :)

We always claimed any that were on credit cards, and made sure we claimed enough to make min wage .... the d@#med gov't wasn't the one on their feet for 8-12 hours busting their a$$ so no reason to give them more than we had to.

slick4591":3530zic4 said:
ga.prime":3530zic4 said:

And doing it that way a server can't hide any from the gubmint. I had a time clock that would also allow tips to be entered so I could make sure the servers were making minimum wage. It was funny that each one of them made exactly minimum every week. :)
A major perk in the restaurant business is the cash sales, for everyone involved. It was called cooking the books. There's nothing like having a good waitress when you go out to eat, and you should tip accordingly not on a percentage.

True Grit Farms":34sd7ari said:
slick4591":34sd7ari said:
ga.prime":34sd7ari said:

A major perk in the restaurant business is the cash sales, for everyone involved. It was called cooking the books. There's nothing like having a good waitress when you go out to eat, and you should tip accordingly not on a percentage.

I certainly agree that it shouldn't always be the same percentage. I tip 15% for adequate service and 20% or more if it's better than just adequate.

True Grit Farms":39vkwl4b said:
slick4591":39vkwl4b said:
ga.prime":39vkwl4b said:

My wife waited tables. We TIP, and I mean we T-I-P for good service, whether or not I want to. It's a hard job without a lot of thanks, mostly complaints. The one that I usually tip is the person working the register at one of those places if I have to go in and get food. It's never just ready, they have to put everything together, and even if they did, or did not, screw up they're usually the person to be yelled at.

A lot of countries in Europe have no tipping. My service experiences were always very good. The staffs got paid more, and really considered that their career job.

Farm Fence Solutions":3vn3e63c said:
My wife waited tables for more than 20 years, and made good money. She was also very good at it. It's actually quite a bit of work to do it right, and just like anything, the best of their craft should be rewarded. I hope global warming causes all the snowflakes to melt.
Darn right it's hard work and I'm sure a few crochety old pharts like me everyday don't make the job any easier. I love to tip folks. The salary is small so the tips are everything. Heck I gave the girl that took my order at Whataburger $20 on Christmas eve just because she was working, took our order perfectly and had a beautiful smile all the time......thought she was going to cry. The servers I DON"T LIKE are those that think it's necessary to refer to me as "honey, babe, doll, etc". I've actually told a few of them they are destroying any chances of getting a tip. We are all not in there to flirt or be babied.

HDRider":28qkwlxc said:
A lot of countries in Europe have no tipping. My service experiences were always very good. The staffs got paid more, and really considered that their career job.

That would be ok with me.
ga.prime":28qkwlxc said:

I wouldn't. I'd have to pay more for my food... :hide:

Latest posts