Changing the Food Service Tipping System

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":3az1ljyq said:
The servers I DON"T LIKE are those that think it's necessary to refer to me as "honey, babe, doll, etc". I've actually told a few of them they are destroying any chances of getting a tip. We are all not in there to flirt or be babied.

We aren't?

greybeard":b5w21cbh said:
TexasBred":b5w21cbh said:
The servers I DON"T LIKE are those that think it's necessary to refer to me as "honey, babe, doll, etc". I've actually told a few of them they are destroying any chances of getting a tip. We are all not in there to flirt or be babied.

We aren't?
Nope...I go in to eat.

Brute 23":2311wb5t said:
Waiting tables should be a requirement to graduate high school.

Good waiters or waitresses are my favorite people to deal with because they get "it".

My daughter will finish college this May, and has worked tables since she was 17. She can tell you pretty quick that you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat wait staff. It never amazes me how some people that are nice and friendly to people they consider peers can be rude and demanding to waitresses and apparently think nothing of it.

That "honey, babe and darlin'" crap cost one of my best servers her job. Too many complaints from customers and after about 5 warnings I walked in one day to find her draped in $1 bills. Asked WTF? and she said it was her birthday, and this was a tradition of some sort. I told her she could have a birthday someway else as it was really her liberation day from her job. If I wanted to run a truck stop diner I would have bought one.

TexasBred":27gdndtq said:
greybeard":27gdndtq said:
TexasBred":27gdndtq said:

We aren't?
Nope...I go in to eat.

:D
One of the cashiers at our TSC must have been a waitress in another life. She does the babe/honey/sweetie thing to everyone that comes in. Wife gave me the stink eye over it day before Christmas when we went in for last minute stocking stuffers...

Rafter S":1y3skdvl said:
Brute 23":1y3skdvl said:
Waiting tables should be a requirement to graduate high school.

Good waiters or waitresses are my favorite people to deal with because they get "it".

My daughter will finish college this May, and has worked tables since she was 17. She can tell you pretty quick that you can tell a lot about a person by how they treat wait staff. It never amazes me how some people that are nice and friendly to people they consider peers can be rude and demanding to waitresses and apparently think nothing of it.

That is one of my top 3 things I look at when hiring contractors or employees. Take them out to lunch and watch how they speak to the staff in the restaurant. I also watch how contractor speak to their own employees. There is a correlation between the two and what kind of person you are about to be dealing with.

Brute 23":vg10no4b said:
I also watch how contractor speak to their own employees. There is a correlation between the two and what kind of person you are about to be dealing with.
We do our business as much by personality as anything. I've been known to drive out of my way and pay a little more to do business with people treat the public and their employees well. We used to eat at least once a week at a local restaurant we had an excellent relationship with one of the waitresses. When we came in they would tell her that "her people were there". She was put in charge of training the other girls and service at the place really improved. She got pregnant and after her second kid she never returned. The service went down the toilet and I've noticed when we drive past that their parking lot always has open spots. Didn;t used to be like that. We haven;t been back in almost a year so I don;t know how the service is now.

dun":ams1hd2y said:
Brute 23":ams1hd2y said:
I also watch how contractor speak to their own employees. There is a correlation between the two and what kind of person you are about to be dealing with.
We do our business as much by personality as anything. I've been known to drive out of my way and pay a little more to do business with people treat the public and their employees well. We used to eat at least once a week at a local restaurant we had an excellent relationship with one of the waitresses. When we came in they would tell her that "her people were there". She was put in charge of training the other girls and service at the place really improved. She got pregnant and after her second kid she never returned. The service went down the toilet and I've noticed when we drive past that their parking lot always has open spots. Didn;t used to be like that. We haven;t been back in almost a year so I don;t know how the service is now.

I agree 100%. That is one of the great things about having resources... you can choose who you do business with even if it costs a little more.

When they call me honey ,sweety pie,sweety,
I feel violated and sexually harressed. At my age it is a turn on and she gets a big tip and smile. :cboy:

Farm Fence Solutions":38abgq2h said:
My wife waited tables for more than 20 years, and made good money. She was also very good at it. It's actually quite a bit of work to do it right, and just like anything, the best of their craft should be rewarded. I hope global warming causes all the snowflakes to melt.

It's a change the current admin wants to make, apparently. Just fyi.
https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/nati ... 77303.html

Latest posts