Changing my health program today

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
I vaccinate all my cows with BS5L5HB. "Normally" I vaccinate prior to breeding. Learned I needed to be sure to vaccinate a minimum of 30 days prior to breeding, so been doing that. I use MLV because I want to use MLV on my calves while nursing.

Present protocol:
Vacc cows w/ BS prior to breeding
Vacc calves w/ BS at 3 months, again at 4 months and again few weeks after weaning. Calves received Inforce 3 at birth.
(calves received other vaccines also)

Anyway, since the BS needs to be given to cows within 12 months of vaccinating nursing calves, I have decided to vaccinate cows in the fall. I always run cows thru chute for Pour On and Lepto. Changing the Lepto shot to MLV BS should take the pressure off of interfering with breeding.

What are your thoughts?

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2kku5ec1 said:
I vaccinate all my cows with BS5L5HB. "Normally" I vaccinate prior to breeding. Learned I needed to be sure to vaccinate a minimum of 30 days prior to breeding, so been doing that. I use MLV because I want to use MLV on my calves while nursing.

Present protocol:
Vacc cows w/ BS prior to breeding
Vacc calves w/ BS at 3 months, again at 4 months and again few weeks after weaning. Calves received Inforce 3 at birth.
(calves received other vaccines also)

Anyway, since the BS needs to be given to cows within 12 months of vaccinating nursing calves, I have decided to vaccinate cows in the fall. I always run cows thru chute for Pour On and Lepto. Changing the Lepto shot to MLV BS should take the pressure off of interfering with breeding.

What are your thoughts?

Good. I posted a thread on this. The IBR component of the Bovi Shield Gold FP 5 can disrupt the ovarian function. Despite the label directions of 30 days prior to breeding, the vet who is a UK professor suggested at least 6 weeks prior to breeding to allow the ovary to settle.

Latest posts