Changing fuel filters----algae????

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
My tractor aint making it 5 minutes on a fuel filter, Sometimes 30, but never more than that. I have siphoned the tank, but not removed it and cleaned it (too big a job for me). Trash in the tank, possibly that algae? How would I know if it was algae?

Bigfoot":1qf3ax5e said:
My tractor aint making it 5 minutes on a fuel filter, Sometimes 30, but never more than that. I have siphoned the tank, but not removed it and cleaned it (too big a job for me). Trash in the tank, possibly that algae? How would I know if it was algae?

If your changing filters like that its black algae.
Get some power service or sea foam and a wash tub of filters.
After you get through this fight you will never again fill up without an algaecide.

Caustic Burno":8mkt0he0 said:
Bigfoot":8mkt0he0 said:

If your changing filters like that its black algae.
Get some power service or sea foam and a wash tub of filters.
After you get through this fight you will never again fill up without an algaecide.

I was afraid of that.

Bigfoot":2tc3opyu said:

IS IT ON A MF

skyhightree1":3lwty2k0 said:
Bigfoot":3lwty2k0 said:

IS IT ON A MF

Yes.

Try Killem Biocide . Also I think Lucus makes a product that works .

Bigfoot":37wbibfq said:
skyhightree1":37wbibfq said:
Bigfoot":37wbibfq said:

IS IT ON A MF

Yes.

What model MF ?
Check the screen on top of the lift pump.

Caustic Burno":266aknp7 said:
What model MF ?

I pulled the plug on the bottom of my MF fuel tank. Drained a couple of gallons and put the plug back. All my problems went away.

backhoeboogie":1xu5rcpz said:
Caustic Burno":1xu5rcpz said:
What model MF ?

I pulled the plug on the bottom of my MF fuel tank. Drained a couple of gallons and put the plug back. All my problems went away.

I can't find a drain. I'm pretty mechanically challenged though.

Bigfoot":1otgzb67 said:
I can't find a drain. I'm pretty mechanically challenged though.

My tank is right under the cab. It looked like an oil port plug. Heavy steel plate. I wasn't sure it was fuel but pulled it anyway. It was fuel. I had been putting the WIX 33166 filters above the fuel bowls quite regular. The fuel bowl has been staying clean every since I drained the bottom of the tank. So I hope you find a way to clear the bottom of yours. I had tried seafoam and everything else. Nothing worked.

This has actually been a pretty big PIA. Took me a while (not very mechanically minded) to figure it out. I'd suggest people take steps and measures to avoid this happening to them.

Bigfoot":g46c9qlu said:
This has actually been a pretty big PIA. Took me a while (not very mechanically minded) to figure it out. I'd suggest people take steps and measures to avoid this happening to them.

It's a very easy fix, put a couple of oz of Biobor to a 100 gallons of diesel. I've fought bad - clogged fuel filters for years in the marine industry. Now we change the primary fuel filter every other oil change, and the other two every year.

Latest posts