Changing feed schedule?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
Is there any reason why I can't change my feeding schedule for my beef calves to feeding their grain 1 time a day instead of 2 times? They are all around 300 or so pounds and have free feed hay & water & minerals and also have the option of grazing in the fields.
Also how many pounds each should they have of a 16% grain mix to keep them in good condition and gaining? They are doing great right now and have really filled out since I have gotten them about 1 1/2 months ago. I will put them out on our pastures for the summer so I don't plan on putting them on finishing feed until my pasture is running low on grass towards the end of summer.
Thanks

I usually feed 2x/day because it gives me the opportunity to look over the herd twice a day. Especially at that age it's nice to see them a little more often.

1-2% of their body weight in grain is a good rule of thumb to keep them gaining well. More or less depending on the quality of their hay or pasture.

They'll be fine getting fed once a day. I'd feed them about 6-8 lbs. of feed a day, per head. Sounds like you're doing a good job. Glad to read you have Minerals out for them.

Thanks guys.
The reason I would like to move them to a once a day graining is so we can actually go somewhere once in a while and I am trying to simplify things.
We can take the dogs with us but not the calves & horses for an evening away!
I have family very close by but would rather not ask them to feed as it tends to cause problems ... gate left open or wrong feed to wrong animal and horse meds complicate things so I guess it is better to not confuse anyone and keep it simple and do it myself.

Latest posts