Changing EPD's

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I just checked the latest and greatest EPD information on my Balancer bull and they have changed again. This is the 2nd time since I have owned him. I know the registery continually updates the accuracies of his sire and dam and as theirs changes I imagine it reflects on their progenies EPD's. The thing is that his number have now improved in all catagories. So now the original registration papers are not as good as the latest version so to speak. Is this something that all breed registeries do and will they send me an updated registration paper or will I have to request a new one? When I was using my last red angus bull the EPD's stayed the same. It could have been because his sire had very high accuracy numbers? He was a King Rob son.

HOSS":a4n72cpr said:
I just checked the latest and greatest EPD information on my Balancer bull and they have changed again. This is the 2nd time since I have owned him. I know the registery continually updates the accuracies of his sire and dam and as theirs changes I imagine it reflects on their progenies EPD's. The thing is that his number have now improved in all catagories. So now the original registration papers are not as good as the latest version so to speak. Is this something that all breed registeries do and will they send me an updated registration paper or will I have to request a new one? When I was using my last red angus bull the EPD's stayed the same. It could have been because his sire had very high accuracy numbers? He was a King Rob son.

What breed association produces Balancer EPDs? Angus does not send out "updated" registration papers. But I can go to the Angus site online and print a copy of our cattle's registrations with the most current EPDs. That might be available at your breed association online, too?

Frankie":12tsnwa9 said:
What breed association produces Balancer EPDs? Angus does not send out "updated" registration papers. But I can go to the Angus site online and print a copy of our cattle's registrations with the most current EPDs. That might be available at your breed association online, too?

Ditto for the Hereford Association, if I sell a Reg. cow/calf to private party they get an updated print out of the "current EPD's" off the AHA website.... along with the original papers.

Alan

hoss his EPDs keep changing because they are reporting more of his calves born.so the EPDs can go up or down.

bigbull338":1xam3whe said:
hoss his EPDs keep changing because they are reporting more of his calves born.so the EPDs can go up or down.

His accuracys may/should change also. You'll have to either request another set of papers from the Gelbvieh folks or just update them yourself on the existing papers. That's what we do with our Red Angus.

The Gelbvieh associtation won't send you a new registration certificate.

One of my Balancer bulls' birth weight EPD has increased 3 pounds since I bought him. He has thrown some bigger calves. Never have pulled a calf out of him, but have seen some larger than I want birth weights out of him. He is the one I posted pictures of a couple of weeks ago, and he is being sold next week.

It's all in the offspring being produced and your bulls brothers and sisters out of that sire. The data is always changing, don't worry I asked the same questions. I had 3 bull calves out of the same bull and all the dams had similar epd's but i had a difference in the calves EPD's. It all lead to contemporary grouping the Gelbvieh breed uses. Hope that helped.

double v":2rglqm0e said:
It's all in the offspring being produced and your bulls brothers and sisters out of that sire.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has to do with the "subject" animal also. This is an extreme example but it should get my point across. Let' say you have a bull with a BW EPD of +1.4 and a CE of +7.3 in 2007 he put 30 calves on the ground 30% of the cows needed to be assisted during birth and the calves had an averge of 98LBs. I would think the bulls EPD's would change, (yes the bull would be hambuger :D ) But I believe the subjects epd's would change and probably effect his sires and dams EPD's also(?)

Alan

Alan":1nv37gpn said:
double v":1nv37gpn said:
It's all in the offspring being produced and your bulls brothers and sisters out of that sire.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it has to do with the "subject" animal also. This is an extreme example but it should get my point across. Let' say you have a bull with a BW EPD of +1.4 and a CE of +7.3 in 2007 he put 30 calves on the ground 30% of the cows needed to be assisted during birth and the calves had an averge of 98LBs. I would think the bulls EPD's would change, (yes the bull would be hambuger :D ) But I believe the subjects epd's would change and probably effect his sires and dams EPD's also(?)

Alan

It would effect every animals epds in the pedigree.

Latest posts