changing directions Kinda?

Help Support CattleToday:

BryanM

Reaction score
We have a small farm and raise between 10-15 head of cattle. Red Angus, we are a cow calf operation and sell are calves to a gentleman who raises the calves to be freezer meat. Its worked out ok for us but we are looking to maybe test the waters in selling freezer beef too.

So this is my situation I have a couple heifers that didnt settle this year so we have decided to finish them out. They are around 16 months old and have a date to butcher at the earliest that we could get feb 22. So they will be age 2 or a month or 2 older. we are grain finishing them. But would like some advice on what ration to feed them and when to start heavy grain intake? They are probably around 800lbs now on pasture and hay? thanks for any input

I have really good luck with either grass or grain finished. I usually sell nonbreeder heifers as grass fed and off colored steers as grain feds. Seems like all of my customers are more concerned with how we handle the cattle, whether or not they have been implanted or treated with any antibiotics and whether or not they are home raised. They are buying your reputation, not necessarily your beef! Be open and honest with them and try to accommodate them and you will do well.

Latest posts