Changing Careers

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Back in September my company decided to close the facility that I work in and move it to Bowling Green Kentucky. They wanted me to go with them but I was not willing to move. Anyway they are supposed to close the doors completely next week. Back in December I decided to try working for myself and started a small consulting firm for product compliance and liability. Well I just landed my first major customers. Three in fact and all in the same day. I start consulting Monday. The cool thing is that I work from home and I own my own company. My boss is my customers. I was surprised at how lucrative the pay can be. The gig with my current company comes to an end tomorrow and my new business gets active on Monday.....how cool is that! Now my current company has expressed a desire for me to possibly do some consulting for them now that the relocation is complete so that may be in the works. Blessings sometimes hit all at once and I thank God for all of them. I am excited about this new journey. Now I just have to find a good book keeper and tax advisor :cboy:

Good for you Hoss it takes a lot of guts to step that far out of the box and strike out on your own. What impresses me most is you didn't sit around wringing your hands and waiting for the government to bail you out.

Im currently in college and am taking a one hour course that has men/women that have been successful engineers come in and talk about their jobs. The man that came last week had a story kind of like yours. He didnt like the company he was with, and started his own consulting firm and is doing great. You put in your own hours, which means the work can be endless but the benefits are so much more. Best of luck in your new endeavors.

3waycross":3jsu4qfm said:
Good for you Hoss it takes a lot of guts to step that far out of the box and strike out on your own. What impresses me most is you didn't sit around wringing your hands and waiting for the government to bail you out.

Thanks 3way. I can't set around very much I'd go crazy. My biggest fear was not only not having a job but having to set around the house and twiddle my thumbs.

I was always raised that those who work hard at something or for something will eventually get rewarded as long as they don't give up. My father had an 8th grade education but retired a millionaire at 59 years old. He worked in maintenance at GM but he could never sit still and always had to be working. He invented several types of water pumps for robotic welder cooling systems. He is still a work-a-holic to this day. He works on my farm and his everyday.

You'll never work harder then you will when you work for yourself!

Isnt this country great how you can create your own job. Congratulations. You have to be very serious to have your own business and avoid listening to all the nay sayers that say you can't do it.

Congrats for the courage and good luck in your andventure
I have been in business for myself a few times and you will never find anything more rewarding or exhausting than being in bus. for yourself

Goodluck and remember to have fun and enjoy life don't let the business consume you

congrats Hoss,you could send all your income to me and i will take care of it for ya :D just dont get to busy so ya dont have time for us lil people,lol

Congratulations Hoss! The way things turned out for you really is a blessing. Alot of people are not so fortunate.
My brother-in-law had the same thing happen to him about 2 years ago, and he now does consulting work (Hes a quality control engineer) all over the country, and even gets some gigs in Asia about 3 times a year. (And those Asian companies pay very well) But, as dun said, it seems like you will work even harder when you work for yourself. Good luck to you!

HOSS":353t4k26 said:
Back in September my company decided to close the facility that I work in and move it to Bowling Green Kentucky. They wanted me to go with them but I was not willing to move. Anyway they are supposed to close the doors completely next week. Back in December I decided to try working for myself and started a small consulting firm for product compliance and liability. Well I just landed my first major customers. Three in fact and all in the same day. I start consulting Monday. The cool thing is that I work from home and I own my own company. My boss is my customers. I was surprised at how lucrative the pay can be. The gig with my current company comes to an end tomorrow and my new business gets active on Monday.....how cool is that! Now my current company has expressed a desire for me to possibly do some consulting for them now that the relocation is complete so that may be in the works. Blessings sometimes hit all at once and I thank God for all of them. I am excited about this new journey. Now I just have to find a good book keeper and tax advisor :cboy:

Kudos to you, Hoss :clap: It takes a lot of nerve to step out on your own! You have a lot of options for the admin function. You could farm out the bookkeeeping or just grab yourself the Quickbooks software for your invoicing and other record keeping. Just keep your net payment terms real tight! I provide a lot of contractors to local industry and got started the same way you did. Never looked back!

Im about to be changing careers myself. I just got laid off this past Thursday.

congrats on your new business venture.now you can work in your office.an play with lil hoss all day.an work when he napps.

Congratulations Hoss! Scary move isn't it? It will be well worth it though. Might have to hire you to come down in the fall and do some work for me on the Imbalancer Project. Costs associated with site inspections and such is still tax deductible and all isn't it? ;-)

Good going Hoss!

So I guess you won't be traveling to the far east anytime soon? I thought I remebered that you traveled for your previous job?

Regardless, good luck. I hear it's a nice feeling to work for yourself, knowing that your work directly leads to your success.

cypressfarms":2w7bkjr8 said:
I hear it's a nice feeling to work for yourself, knowing that your work directly leads to your success.

I think most self employed people will agree that this is true but I think they will also agree that the lack of benefits is the biggest drawback. Since you are a small entity, the health insurance people really hammer you on the premiums since you are unable to join a group. I hope that one day someone will change this.