chance of a twin?

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Mega looks a little off today.. she didn't come running for food... So I was wondering, what are the chances she would still have a twin considering the placenta was delivered promptly?

Took a feel in there.. no extra calf.. a little smelly.. put a couple boluses in.

She is just like her momma.. sooo easy to work.. I did it with no head gate, no chute, not even treats to keep her busy

Nesikep":tatvehr7 said:
Took a feel in there.. no extra calf.. a little smelly.. put a couple boluses in.

She is just like her momma.. sooo easy to work.. I did it with no head gate, no chute, not even treats to keep her busy

I might get away with that on a couple.

Well. shes still off.. eats a little bit, lays down a lot, still has occasional contractions... I'll take her temp tomorrow and see if she's running a fever (doesn't really feel like she's hot, but she's acting like it).. I did see her still chewing cud today. I'd like to stay away from LA200 if I can because of the really long milk withdrawal time.

She's also still got an unevenness in her walk, seems like her right hind leg is either a bit weak or hurts.. pinched nerve? I'm leary of giving dexamethasone if she's still fighting an infection (decreases immune system)

Thinking maybe a bladder infection rather than uterine? I did see her urinate but not the usual flow.

Pinched nerve, hardware disease(especially after just calving) perhaps...hope she's OK today!!

A cow can have internal problems after giving birth, tearing a hole in the uterus wall is a real possibility. If it's been 4-5 days and she's still alive it's not that. Not the normal flow while urinating is a cause of concern. Good luck with her.

I was ready to give her a shot of LA200 yesterday and she was up and eating.. gave her some treats and she ate those too.. decided to hold off and re evaluate her and see if she's trending better.

This morning she was up and chewing cud.. still doesn't have her normal appetite.. To anyone who doesn't know how round she usually is she may look fine, but knowing her, she is skinny.. Gave her some very nice hay, she ate a bit, but probably only ~5-10 lbs

Nesikep":20udsjj2 said:
Well. shes still off.. eats a little bit, lays down a lot, still has occasional contractions... I'll take her temp tomorrow and see if she's running a fever (doesn't really feel like she's hot, but she's acting like it).. I did see her still chewing cud today. I'd like to stay away from LA200 if I can because of the really long milk withdrawal time.

She's also still got an unevenness in her walk, seems like her right hind leg is either a bit weak or hurts.. pinched nerve? I'm leary of giving dexamethasone if she's still fighting an infection (decreases immune system)

Thinking maybe a bladder infection rather than uterine? I did see her urinate but not the usual flow.
Can you smell her urine? I had a bladder-infected cow here and her urine smelt strongly of ammonia and made the grass go slippery and dark very quickly where she'd been. Don't know if you have grass now? ;-)

Putangitangi":2qjl8met said:
Nesikep":2qjl8met said:

Can you smell her urine? I had a bladder-infected cow here and her urine smelt strongly of ammonia and made the grass go slippery and dark very quickly where she'd been. Don't know if you have grass now? ;-)
No grass here yet.. it's just barely starting... I haven't noticed any ammonia smell... right now a lot of the urine actually smells kinda sweet
I'll ask the bulls for a diagnosis :p

Update, while she was laying down she urinated, hardly any smell whatsoever to it.
After she finished, I took a bit of a look inside, she does have some serious vaginal bruising, though I can't tell if there are any tears... I think a shot of dex and LA200 will fix her up.. it's warming a little so it's not so darned thick

Gave her the shots last night, against her will for sure.. she is holding steady right now, chewing a little cud.. I'll have to see how does over the next day

calf is fine, though it's getting to the point he'd want more milk than she's making.

I do think a pinched nerve is a possibility, I gave her dex yesterday, didn't see much improvement on that side, probably give another shot tonight.

Spoke to the vet, he suggests a uterine wash with some iodine.. I have some outdated LA200 I might put some of that in the "tea" as well, as well as tubing her some water with sugar to keep her hydrated and some energy.

Temp is 102.5, so definitely running a bit of fever.

I gave (tubed) her a 5 gallon pail of warm water with calf electrolytes, a few cow-sized aspirin, and 2 cups of sugar. She was in the perfect spot where I had a good place to put my pail with good gravity feed.. I'll do it again in the morning. Didn't do the uterine wash yet

Retook her temp, over the 7 hours it dropped from 102.5 to 101.8, a promising trend at least.. Probably redose the LA200 tomorrow as well (did 35cc for round 1)

Tubed another 3 gallon of sugar/electrolyte mix just now, temp is 37.0C/98.6F, which is actually starting to get me worried about it being too low.. her mouth feels cold now, and though she did get up and move since last night, she is really weak.. not chewing at all today.

Latest posts