Champion Bull.... pic

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan,Very nice bull. One of my earlier posts was an enquiery as to lines of longhorn improved through selection. I have read as much about longhorn as I can find on the internet, as I have an avid interest in adapted breeds, and their potential in crossbreeding programs.
The improved Sanga breeds have as good conformation as any commercial breed,without having compromised any of their adaptability to harsh environments. The polled,plain coloured strains are the more popular, but demand for coloured,horned strains is always constant. Colour is more to do with aethetics, but some ranchers in high predator areas go for horned strains to improve their weaning percentages. Researching the development of the more popular Sanga breeds may be of interest to Longhorn breeders interested in the posibilities of improving the longhorn Phenotype through selection, but worried about compromising the hardy traits of the breed.

ITLA( International Texas Longhorn Assoc) is already working on EPD's-how far along they are I don't know. I see both sides of the coin-it would be nice to have these but then again this breed even though it is the original beef breed, is not widely bred and raised as a beef breed in most instances. Yes, they work well in a cross breeding program. Of course most folks overlook their good qualities, longevity, calving ease and heart healthy lean beef because they have horns and colorful hides. In my opinion EPD's for this breed will be a long time coming but I may be wrong.

What I'm going to say next may be taking this thread off subject a bit, it's not intended toward anyone on this thread, just my opinion which with 50 cents might buy you a cup of coffee.

I was at a show this past weekend and I along with some of my fellow Longhorn breeders and friends exhibited some of our cattle. Now, the heifers that I showed are correct, feminine animals with a good amount of horn. I of course had to compete with animals that were twice the size of my heifers and supposedly the same age. I won't name the folks who had the animals at the show. As a matter of fact, they didn't even raise these animals. They bought them, they bought them from a prominent Longhorn breeder who breeds show animals. They told us that they bought these animals strictly to win. These animals were beautiful animals. I definitely will not deny that. They had the color patterns of a Texas Longhorn, they even had a little bit of horn, not much but a little. I'm not accusing the folks who showed these animals of cheating-the folks who bred, raised and registered them I have to question. A true Texas Longhorn has never looked like that and never will. They will never be that size at that age nor will they have big bubble butts on them like a Limousin. A true Longhorn was not bred to look like that. Even with selective breeding they won't. These cattle had lost everything about the original breed except for some pretty spots and they still had the horned gene. A friend of mine asked me what I thought of the cattle across the aisle from ours and I told her that they were great looking Longhorn composites. I hate to see what these animals would look like if they were truly put out on the range to perform as a brood cow or herdsire. They would melt.

I placed fine with my animals especially when what I was competing with looks like another breed of cattle. A good friend of mine showed a young Butler Longhorn bull (this is a son of one of my big Butler bulls-this line is noted for exceptional horn growth) and won Senior Champion with him as well as winning Reserve Grand Champion Bull. The judge just happened to be from Texas and is familiar with the Longhorn breed. When he placed this bull like he did he made a very bold statement, boy the tongues were really wagging about this. He explained that he admired this breed and didn't like what he sees happening with the breed. Without coming out and saying anything about cheating he still got his point across.

My point is this: It's a crying shame that a breed of cattle has been corrupted to satisfy the greed of folks who will do whatever they have to just to win a show. By slipping in other blood the true breed is being diminished. After the show we found out that the judge actually has some Longhorn cattle and understands what is going on within the breed.

I would have to agree with saltydawg and a couple other's comments. Be careful not to lose what makes your breed what they are. If you want to make them look eye-appealing for the sake of being eye-appealing, you're no different than what the Simmental, Angus, Charolais, and many others have done. Breeding them just to get a color or type that'll win ribbons or be acceptable in fad-chasin circles is only going to hurt you in the long run.

There are breeders in every breed who do this, but there are those who stick to breeding to a type just for the sake of function, flesh, and sustainable profit. Good on 'em, I say.

Good lookin' bull by the way. Damn good.

Rustler9-Roger, I am in complete accord with your feelings relating to the 'bending of the rules'! At one time I was involved in showing Akita Dogs ( Japanese Bear and Elk Hunters) and love the dogs - - and can't stand the "Show Dog People!" And I have had similar experiences with Cattle Breeders - although they are not as viscious and "back-biting" (pardon the pun) as the dog breeder's were at that time. Nevertheless, the competitive challenge and psychological necessity to be a WINNER at any cost is overwhelming in some personalities. Unfortunately, this need and drive creates problems and causes anger, hard feelings and broken relationships. It began with Adam, and carried down to his son Cain and has persisted to the point where it has invaded every facet of human activity. Honesty, probity and honor seem to have taken a back seat, and being "Number 1 takes precedence over adhering to the "Golden Rule"!

The old adage of "What goes Around - Comes Around" is still in force, and eventually the so-called' winners' will show their true colors. Hang in there - and be proud of your accomplishments!

DOC HARRIS

la4angus":285kca6e said:
Next thing you know they'll be breeding Polled Longhorns with black hides and trying to qualify for CAB. :roll: :lol: :help:

Sold a few of these a couple months ago, from a brangus bull of course

Rustler9":35zv9xz3 said:
Randy Algood from Texas-he also judged at World Show (Open Show 2005).

oh yeah, I know Randy real well. He lives not too far from me, and used to judge a lot here in texas. Now I'm actually glad I didnt go to Jackson. He used to be considered one of the best all longhorn judges around, until the world show. He really messed up on that one, but thats a different story.

It was weird. He was way off his normal selection criteria for the most part. Many of the animals that he selected for champions were animals that had obvious faults, and were not the best animals in the ring at the time. It was just all around not his best performance in the show ring. I am not saying it was all bad, b/c he did select some high quality animals to do well, and as champions. But his champions did not match. During the championship drives, for the most part, you want your animals to be similar, but at the world show he was very erratic in his selection within classes and during championship drives. Basically, he detoured from his normal selection, left everyone a little shocked, and everyone surprised after the show (and not in a good way).

Ryan

He did pick a cow in the sr. cow class that had an obvious limp. She was owned by the farm that Rustler refered to earlier.
A very nice cow, but to pick her as champion. :?:

warpaint":15qw4zkt said:
He did pick a cow in the sr. cow class that had an obvious limp. She was owned by the farm that Rustler refered to earlier.
I will probably get a ration of "stuff" for this comment - but this is another reason why I feel that MOST (not necessarily ALL) "Shows!" are vagarious and capricious - lacking true, consistant, and sincerely honest judging. They can mis-lead producers and breeders which can mis-direct their breeding programs for YEARS, - and cost them lost time and money. Just my opinion, but a darned strong opinion, nevertheless!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

That's right Doc, it's just one man's opinion. Lots of folks are real successful without beatin the ever-livin out of the show ring drum.

Hey, it worked for Jimmy Buffett. :lol: ;-)

DOC HARRIS":1d1x9exo said:
warpaint":1d1x9exo said:
I will probably get a ration of "stuff" for this comment - but this is another reason why I feel that MOST (not necessarily ALL) "Shows!" are vagarious and capricious - lacking true, consistant, and sincerely honest judging. They can mis-lead producers and breeders which can mis-direct their breeding programs for YEARS, - and cost them lost time and money. Just my opinion, but a darned strong opinion, nevertheless!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS

I completely agree!!!!! It is especially harmful for breeders that are new to a breed. Like purecountry said, it just one man's opinion on that day. It could change the next day, or next week. My dad and I have been saying this for years to other breeders, especially the new ones, and I'm glad we're aren't the only ones that feel this way.

Ryan

I agree as well. The only reason we enter the shows, is to give my stepson a chance at going to college. He gets points toward a scholarship every time he shows.

LonghornRanch":5tgyykxr said:
Ryan, you selling A.I. straws on this bull? Hook me up! :)

We're working on it. Just got the paper work to get him A.I. certified. So once we have all that done, and have him collected, we'll definantly let everyone know about it.

Latest posts