Chainsaw 18, Brother 0

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
My brother called this evening and said he was doing some tree trimming this morning and somehow ended up with the saw into his leg. He apparently got just careless enough to get himself 18 stitches. Said he had just cut a 3 or 4 inch tree and didn't know if it kicked back, if he just dropped it enough to get him or what. He has had a couple heart attacks and is on blood thinners - said they are working well - looked like a stuck hog! Could have been much worse had he hit an artery. Be careful out there, most everything we do can get dangerous in a heartbeat.

Buy him a pair of logging chaps and a hardhat. Then make sure he uses them.

Chain saws make such clean cuts too. I have a 5 inch scar on my left shin from one. I probaly helped pack out a 6-8 guy out of the woods with chain saw cuts back when I was falling timber. Mine was down right fun compared to some of those.

Glad your brother is doing Ok. Hope he heals fast.

Always, Always keep the thumb on that left hand wrapped around the handle bars.

I sure second the logging chaps and hard hat. Neither one is very comfortable, but will save your tail. Lots of shin and thigh cuts from just letting the saw down one handed.

papavillars":1g9sd34m said:
I sure second the logging chaps and hard hat. Neither one is very comfortable, but will save your tail. Lots of shin and thigh cuts from just letting the saw down one handed.
Based on his story and where the cut was, letting it down one-handed is most likely what happened. He was feeling no pain yesterday, but this evening said the good drugs had worn off! Said he was awake most of the night and only managed two really short naps today. It must be bad! :lol: He did call his neighbor and ask to borrow his logging chaps in a week or two. Thanks for the thoughts and well-wishes.

fit2btied":225h34cr said:
papavillars":225h34cr said:
Based on his story and where the cut was, letting it down one-handed is most likely what happened. He was feeling no pain yesterday, but this evening said the good drugs had worn off! Said he was awake most of the night and only managed two really short naps today. It must be bad! :lol: He did call his neighbor and ask to borrow his logging chaps in a week or two.
It's pretty amazing when I llok at my chaps and find all of the cuts and chewed spots that I never noticed when they happened. If I wouldn't have had them on I sure would have noticed! The hard hat with a face shield is just as important. My head is pretty hard but I had a widowmaker fall and hit me square on the top of my helmet and it knocked me flat and I still saw stars for a few minutes.

we were cutting fire wood years ago, my uncle was doing the sawing. i was loading.. had a small limb on one. i held it up for him to cut off,, the saw caught it and rolled my hand right in to the tip of the blade. cutting a plug out of index finger happend in a blink

Glad to hear he is on the mend, I hate those things, I usually go inside if Hubby is using his, he lent it to our Son in Law but glad he never used it as he is so clumbsy our Daughter would have never forgiven us if anything had happened to him.

Saw him today and he's still sore as all get out - barely movin' and not climbin' up on the tractor yet. It sure is one nasty lookin' mess! He said from the looks of his overalls, the chain grabbed the inside seam just above the knee and ripped it down about a foot and jerked the saw into the meat. The cut was just over 4". He said today, " Well, I guess I shoulda learned my lesson." :roll:

Chaps are some heathy insurance but certainly not the cure all. I was wearing chaps when I got cut. The saw hit me just below the chaps. Twenty years of falling trees in the big timber everyday, being in control of the saw at all times is the only true answer. The worse cuts I saw, chaps wouldn't have done anything to help.

Bro went back to the Dr today to have stitches removed. The nurse said they weren't ready but the Dr checked them and said take them out. Went home and ate lunch and then was putting a new blade on the lawnmower. Noticed blood on his jeans and dropped his drawers to find the middle two inches gapped open about three quarters of an inch. Stitches back in at 2:30. :roll:

Mum was a Matron and wouldn't let a chainsaw on her place as the only time she heard the word chainsaw was when someone came in needing stitches. Opposite to what someone above posted she said it was very hard to stitch as always a jagged line and hard to find to sew.

Hubby has a chainsaw and Touchwood so far, so good and Mum now requests him to come and use it on her property.

Latest posts