Chains and binders?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
For hauling tractors and such below 10,000 pounds are most people using 5/16 chain or 3/8"? Any good places to order online? I have hauled stuff years ago on others peoples trailers guess I really never payed attention to the size of chain.

G70 5/16" is plenty. Get good ratchet binders, trust me they are worth the few bucks extra. Lowe's is the cheapest place I have bought it but I am sure it is Chinese chain, it has held up though. I would think weight and shipping would make online ordering cost prohibitive especially on the chain. You are gonna spend $200 or so to get a set ( 2 each) but they will last a lifetime and when that jackass runs you off the road and your tractor is still on the trailer it will be worth every dime. It happens more than you think.

I use both 3/8" and 5/16" but am sure 5/16" is plenty strong enough. I buy mine at a local big truck parts/repair shop, cheapest prices I've found and they come in a nice little bucket. I second the ratchet binders. Also I think binder chains and load rated chains are different, with the binder chains being much cheaper.

5/16 G70 stamped chain had a WLL of 4700 lbs iirc. One at each corner is sufficient to haul 10k lbs. 3/8 chain is overkill and gets heavy to toss around. As for binders I prefer good snap over binder with a pipe for rubber tire equipment, and ratcheting for things on tracks. But pick your favorite and buy some decent ones.

We use G70 5/16" chain. You can get it at Harbor freight reasonable. Get the style binders that your most comfortable with.

We use four 15' 5/16 high tensile chains with the gold high load hooks. You can get buy with two boomers (guess I speak some canadian) if you back into your front (or rear) chains lock it up then boom down the opposite chains.

I use 3/8 G70 for most everything. Usually 1 front and 1 rear if local, but will hit all 4 corners if traveling long distance.

Weaver Distributing in Pennsylvania sells some nice stuff for a fair price and has free shipping to most Eastern States, looks like that includes Kentucky. One of the best companies I've ever dealt with as far as customer service and punctuality. Good people.

I perfer a boom with a pipe. One across front one across back. I hauled a truck once with straps frame cut it couple hours down the road

I just bought some grade 70 5/16" chain off of Amazon this past fall. Cheapest place I could find it. I'm sure it's probably made in China. Seems to work just fine. I also use heavy duty ratchet binders

Latest posts