Chain store RANT

Help Support CattleToday:

M5, you forgot to add SS, Medicare, Work Comp and liability Ins (about $1000) to your monthly expenses, you gotta raise your prices! ;-)

CB, I get what you're saying.
Rural communities have been dying for about 150 years now.
Part of that is our own fault. Small towns have never learned how or are unwilling to play the game that bigger towns do to attract decent employers. It's still up to current and future generations to decide what's important.

You did what you had to when you were working to make things work and support your family. You excelled at it even.
There's a price paid for everything in life and we need to make the decisions for ourselves how much we're willing to pay.
You wanted to live a rural life, so to do that you commuted to a decent career, you married smart, and you both did what needed to be done to achieve your goal. Everybody today is capable of those same choices. In some ways your generation had it a little tougher because you had to adapt mid life to a rapidly changing world due to technology that was a fantasy 40 years ago, and today it's all just recreation.

To be honest I am 65 and have seen the best and I hope the worst of the job market. I am eternally grateful that I am not just making my way out into the real world. Look at the failure rate for small businesses and you will see it would be very hard to raise a family. Most of the successful small business owners that I am acquainted with started it while still holding a job or had a spouse that was employed. There are a lot that succeed but on the other hand there are many lottery winners every day. I guess what chaps my hide the most is that people that are on fairly firm footing just say ''get a better job'' or ''start your own business''. I doubt that the average cashier wants to be doing what they are for the rest of there life. I doubt that the walked past very many of those ''good'' jobs to get to work. If you are over 40 and are honest about it, it is not the same working world that you started in.

mwj,

No doubt about it. When I grew up, education was free and taxes were fairly applied. We were able to raise a family with one income. Area small businesses were more interested in their community. Political Parties had less influence. Ronald Reagan hadn't gone into politics yet. Corporations hadn't been able to hide their incomes yet. Everyone paid their fair tax. We had quality schools, food and affordable healthcare.

That was way back before the notion that private business could provide a better product at a better price. We had community Services that we could afford.

We also had a Supreme Court that wasn't politically owned and operated. Congress actually housed our "representatives." That was back when we had a secret ballot in elections. It was also back when we (white folk) were allowed and assisted in discriminating against everyone that wasn't affluent and white. Now we have better protections for animals than we had to protect humans.

That was back when were not automatically considered criminals in our everyday lives and cops were our neighbors no matter where we lived.

The only important Americans today are the rich. We can't minimally support our returning troops or our students. Then we complain that we can't find quality employees.

Things have certainly changed.

TB I agree about degrees that paper is only good to wipe your butt with .. You can have all the book smarts in the world but be dumb as a rock when it comes to real life experience and common sense. I have been a small business owner since 2001 and I h worked a job till i got the basic equipment needed to really operate as I should. I love it. Imy employees have made more $ than I do before and they laughed till I showed them and said wow. I informed them owning a business is no joke you got money being yanked every which a way all they gotta do is come in do there shift go home. It doesnt end there for me.

gimpyrancher":3lst1ar8 said:
mwj,

No doubt about it. When I grew up, education was free and taxes were fairly applied. We were able to raise a family with one income. Area small businesses were more interested in their community. Political Parties had less influence. Ronald Reagan hadn't gone into politics yet. Corporations hadn't been able to hide their incomes yet. Everyone paid their fair tax. We had quality schools, food and affordable healthcare.

That was way back before the notion that private business could provide a better product at a better price. We had community Services that we could afford.

We also had a Supreme Court that wasn't politically owned and operated. Congress actually housed our "representatives." That was back when we had a secret ballot in elections. It was also back when we (white folk) were allowed and assisted in discriminating against everyone that wasn't affluent and white. Now we have better protections for animals than we had to protect humans.

That was back when were not automatically considered criminals in our everyday lives and cops were our neighbors no matter where we lived.

The only important Americans today are the rich. We can't minimally support our returning troops or our students. Then we complain that we can't find quality employees.

Things have certainly changed.

Yep I remember that it was before the EPA shutdown all of the small manufacturers and industry here.

School has never been free. Somebody has to pay. Maybe not your folks but somebody pays !!!!! Gimpy your post sounded a lot like I had already read much of it...think it was the Communist Manifesto.

TexasBred":2i3eb6za said:
School has never been free. Somebody has to pay. Maybe not your folks but somebody pays !!!!! Gimpy your post sounded a lot like I had already read much of it...think it was the Communist Manifesto.

Obviously an Elephant. It was "free" until after you got yours I'm betting. Inferring I'm a communist is like claiming a Republican could be a Christian.

But I certainly heard you.

PS: I spent 15 years fighting Bigots in federal court over equal rights and Civil Rights enforcement. You wouldn't understand equality if the Scales of Justice fell over on you.

I was lucky to have enjoyed developing a set of skills that no big box store can compete with... I work with my hands and my mind, and it's saved my arse.

I totally agree that big box stores are rolling up main st... but perhaps, if you can't tax them enough to pay for the damages, the cities should levy higher property taxes on these 5 acre stores?

In downtown vancouver, in an expensive part of town, rent is $20,000 /month for a 2000 sq foot shop... How in the world can you pay for that kind of rent with purple widgets? It's greed to the nth degree by corporately owned realestate investment firms that overpaid the property and stick it to everyone else after... In a less posh area, the rents are still 5-10,000 a month for the same size shop... yes, there's good pedestrian traffic by the shop, but it certainly makes sure no one has a decent chance of starting a business.

gimpyrancher":3d1hk874 said:
TexasBred":3d1hk874 said:

Obviously an Elephant. It was "free" until after you got yours I'm betting. Inferring I'm a communist is like claiming a Republican could be a Christian.

But I certainly heard you.
Just what I would expect from a "donk". My parents paid "school" taxes until they died at 87 and 92 years of age. How free is that? BTW I WORKED my way through HS and college. Hope you did the same !!!! Now get back under the cow turd.

gimpyrancher":1d6r3evb said:
PS: I spent 15 years fighting Bigots in federal court over equal rights and Civil Rights enforcement. You wouldn't understand equality if the Scales of Justice fell over on you.
OMG you have to be either Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. You sure arent' an attorney so you have to be the plaintiff. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I guess poor service goes both ways. :x

Yesterday the guy I work for, his son, and myself went to one of my favorite little home town diners-cafe. We had been setting up some portable cattle pens most of the morning. We walk in to the café at like 2:00 on the dot. Its full of people...(all 30 it can hold)... Hello... Hello... know half the people in there or better. Right as I am sitting the waitress yells that its 2:05 and the kitchen is closed.

I smile because I think she is messing with me. Literally have been eating there for years... like 10-15... my son plays with her son when we go there. We take big groups after working or hunting all the time. I sit down and she says Im sorry but the kitchen is closed. The whole places just erupts... awe come on... really...

I stand up and Im just silent... every one looking... we turned and start walking out. Two older ladies by the door were telling me... that's not right... I just smiled at them and shook my head.

Nothing that was going through my head was good... it was best just to keep my mouth shut.

Latest posts