Chain store RANT

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":31k1bsmv said:
Caustic Burno":31k1bsmv said:
Sim .................
I manage, and take care of +2500, 200 pound hogs for $10 a hour....... from one knocking me down, multiple needle sticks, and bruised knees after two 10 hour days loading pigs, but would I take minimum to keep working there? No doubt.....and you can quote me on that.

Sim are you sure your boss doesn't follow this board? :)

sim.-ang.king":1sqtwqdn said:
That's all i'm worth for that job, it's a low end job, why should I be payed as much as someone that is working full time managing a production line at a factory. I know what i'm worth, and if the job doesn't pay what i'm worth for that job then I wouldn't work there. At some pig barn part time, i'm worth about $10 a hour. If I was working as isle walker at Walmart, I would be worth about minimum wage, because all I would be doing is standing around and telling people where stuff is, that really sound like a $15 a hour job?
The WalMart Job is worth the $15. He/she knows the answers and that's what they're paid to do. Yeah you're in a low end job but give yourself credit for doing the job. At the same time try to see that the boss notices your efforts and rewards you. You do not want to work for minimum wage all your life. You're worth much more than YOU give yourself credit for.

sim.-ang.king":21ypxejz said:
shadyhollownj":21ypxejz said:
Sim I start my laborers at 14 bucks an hr and I cant even find good ones that show up. They are robbing you at 10/hr.
Mexicans get $5 a hour to do the same job, sounds like a steal to me.

That must be the really poor ones living twenty to a shack.
You can't get a sneak across to get in the truck here for less than 10 an hour and lunch.

I figure my time is only worth $10 an hour. Instead of hiring the minimum wage stuff done I keep paying relief breeders breeder wages to cover for me while I drive fence posts, drive tractor, irrigate, etc. If I was really sharp I'd hire the farm/ranch work done and pick up a few more herds... Good thing I'm not very smart. :lol:

Sim, one of these days you'll own more hogs than you're dealing with now if that's what you want to do. This world will bend over backwards for a smart, humble guy that wants to work from the bottom up.

cow pollinater":7jqinsa9 said:
I figure my time is only worth $10 an hour. Instead of hiring the minimum wage stuff done I keep paying relief breeders breeder wages to cover for me while I drive fence posts, drive tractor, irrigate, etc. If I was really sharp I'd hire the farm/ranch work done and pick up a few more herds... Good thing I'm not very smart. :lol:

Sim, one of these days you'll own more hogs than you're dealing with now if that's what you want to do. This world will bend over backwards for a smart, humble guy that wants to work from the bottom up.

CP we must live in alternate universes linked by the internet through CT.
The world will never bend over for him it will eat him up.
This is a dog eat dog world always has been and always will looking through
my rose colored glasses. Cain slew Able and we were off to the races.

Fifteen years ago we paid mexican dairy labor $300 a week for about a 30 hr. week along with living quarters. Furnished them a coke machine as well but they had to pay for them. Dang machine was about the only money maker on the dairy. :lol: :lol:

why is it when ya'll say we need to pay the labors more per hour but everyone does not want to pay the business you are buying from the amount needed to pay the wages. you can't have it both ways. high labor and cheap goods does not compute. reread this thread and SKY's thread everyone goes to where the cheap prices are but bytchs about the service level. it is black and white.

you as a cattle producer find out that cow prices have taken a drop they are worth exactly half of what they were yesterday. your hired hand is paid 1000.00 a week
are you going to continue to pay your hand 1000. a week even though your income has been reduced by 50%. heck no your not you will either lay off this worker or cut his salary. those are the decisions business owners face every day. this has been evolving since the 70's when a businesses decided that they could sell more product for less money to beat the competition the labor side is only a result of this business model.

For $20/hr I'd go to work at Lowes. I went in one Sunday and was looking over the shelves with fertilizers and pesticides and that kind of thing. I was looking for some some kind of pH reducing soil amendment to use on some blueberries. An employee came over and asked if he could help and I told him what I was looking for and he showed me where the lime was.

M5 my prices got cut 30% and my employees stayed the same or more. Just because you pay you employees a decent wage doesnt mean you now have the right to not be competitive. I mean hey I can charge the high rates from 2008 and pay my guys great but it wont matter because we will all be outta work. Its so far from black and white. The real question is how greedy are you? I pay the same wages and make less money now and learned to be thrifty in business. If you are going to stay in business you have to adapt to the economy and adjust where necessary. If that means not shopping somewhere because they wanna make the same profit margin that they used to and not be competitive then they dont get my business. I dont need the cheapest price but I dont need to pay 50% more for the same item.

My income has been cut in half and my employees didnt get raises for 2 years but never took a cut. When the economy was good and there was money to go around then they got paid vacation, bonuses ,and so forth. Now they know that they are lucky to have a job in this economy. As a business owner you dont base you employees wages on your profit margin. You base it off going rate and how good of an employee they are. If a cowhand is worth 1000 a week then thats what he's worth no matter what prices are. If you run the same amount of head and he has the same responsibilities then how can you justify cutting his pay? We have downsized because we dont have the same amount of work but that is completely different than cutting wages because of profit margin.

shadyhollow, your points are valid and while you adapted you are obviously still making a profit or you would be out of business. what I am trying to relay in my last post because this thread has turned to wages is why wages have not increased and the reasons why suppliers and chains employ staff at minimum wage. its not about 50% profits on an item or items its the bottom line. while you have overhead it does not compare to what a retail outlet has and at the end of the day. In your business you can demand your price to make sure you get the sales revenue required to continue to survive. back to the real world where a business operates in the black if that farmer cuts everything he can and he cuts his salary/income to the red is he going to continue to pay that 1000 a week? NO he will have self preservation and will do what it takes to survive like hire 2 people willing to work at 250 each a week to do the same job. although he will not get the same quality of work he will have survived and he has to work harder too. I have been on both sides of the business and I understand what it take. "prices are set by what the market will bear"

PM me a list of your main construction materials you buy and I will give you the margins your suppliers are making off of you.

shadyhollownj":a2wlotvn said:
M5 my prices got cut 30% and my employees stayed the same or more. Just because you pay you employees a decent wage doesnt mean you now have the right to not be competitive. I mean hey I can charge the high rates from 2008 and pay my guys great but it wont matter because we will all be outta work. Its so far from black and white. The real question is how greedy are you? I pay the same wages and make less money now and learned to be thrifty in business. If you are going to stay in business you have to adapt to the economy and adjust where necessary. If that means not shopping somewhere because they wanna make the same profit margin that they used to and not be competitive then they dont get my business. I dont need the cheapest price but I dont need to pay 50% more for the same item.

My income has been cut in half and my employees didnt get raises for 2 years but never took a cut. When the economy was good and there was money to go around then they got paid vacation, bonuses ,and so forth. Now they know that they are lucky to have a job in this economy. As a business owner you dont base you employees wages on your profit margin. You base it off going rate and how good of an employee they are. If a cowhand is worth 1000 a week then thats what he's worth no matter what prices are. If you run the same amount of head and he has the same responsibilities then how can you justify cutting his pay? We have downsized because we dont have the same amount of work but that is completely

different than cutting wages because of profit margin.

It is a bit ironic that you will squeeze your suppliers on price. They are forced to cut there labor costs so you can brag that your laborers were not reduced on wages! When that supplier cuts back on there range of products to hold down costs, there customers will just go on down the road.

mwj":1945d62k said:
shadyhollownj":1945d62k said:

My income has been cut in half and my employees didnt get raises for 2 years but never took a cut. When the economy was good and there was money to go around then they got paid vacation, bonuses ,and so forth. Now they know that they are lucky to have a job in this economy. As a business owner you dont base you employees wages on your profit margin. You base it off going rate and how good of an employee they are. If a cowhand is worth 1000 a week then thats what he's worth no matter what prices are. If you run the same amount of head and he has the same responsibilities then how can you justify cutting his pay? We have downsized because we dont have the same amount of work but that is completely

It is a bit ironic that you will squeeze your suppliers on price. They are forced to cut there labor costs so you can brag that your laborers were not reduced on wages! When that supplier cuts back on there range of products to hold down costs, there customers will just go on down the road.

I didn't take it as a " brag " but as a business practice he put in place with his business.. You get 100 different business who are owned by 100 different people you will get 100 different business practices.

skyhightree1":2u5036h0 said:
mwj":2u5036h0 said:
shadyhollownj":2u5036h0 said:

I didn't take it as a " brag " but as a business practice he put in place with his business.. You get 100 different business who are owned by 100 different people you will get 100 different business practices.

Reading the first sentence I can not see it any other way! Maybe 65 years in this funny old world has damaged my reading ability.

M5farm":2rxj10qj said:
you as a cattle producer find out that cow prices have taken a drop they are worth exactly half of what they were yesterday. your hired hand is paid 1000.00 a week
are you going to continue to pay your hand 1000. a week even though your income has been reduced by 50%. heck no your not you will either lay off this worker or cut his salary. those are the decisions business owners face every day. this has been evolving since the 70's when a businesses decided that they could sell more product for less money to beat the competition the labor side is only a result of this business model.

The Wal Marts of the world do not have to raise prices to pay their workers a living wage.
Take one penny off the dollar profit and they are paying a living wage.

Caustic Burno":uyy1jpv8 said:
M5farm":uyy1jpv8 said:

The Wal Marts of the world do not have to raise prices to pay their workers a living wage.
Take one penny off the dollar profit and they are paying a living wage.

:bang: My mind is fried today and I have not put a pencil to the billions it would cost the company BUT if that happens I'll bet you 2 fat calves that the number of employees you see will decrease by the percentage of the wages increased and the same laborers will continue to complain that they don't get paid enough to do the job. retail stores are going to maintain their bottom line based on the accounting practices that are proven in this industry.
while I am not a fan of walmart and only shop there when I absolutely have too, I understand their polices and what it takes to be the worlds largest retailer and make money.

M5farm":1axzsnzw said:
:bang: My mind is fried today and I have not put a pencil to the billions it would cost the company BUT if that happens I'll bet you 2 fat calves that the number of employees you see will decrease by the percentage of the wages increased and the same laborers will continue to complain that they don't get paid enough to do the job. retail stores are going to maintain their bottom line based on the accounting practices that are proven in this industry.
while I am not a fan of walmart and only shop there when I absolutely have too, I understand their polices and what it takes to be the worlds largest retailer and make money.
They won't have to cut employees....they'll just cut hours. When a company has 200 billion invested they will make every effort to meet their earnings goals. Just a fact and sign of a well managed company (like it or not).

TexasBred":2k2dl7ed said:
M5farm":2k2dl7ed said:
They won't have to cut employees....they'll just cut hours. When a company has 200 billion invested they will make every effort to meet their earnings goals. Just a fact and sign of a well managed company (like it or not).

cut hours or layoff = (same result) less service and 27 new self checkouts

Latest posts