Chain Store HUMOR

Help Support CattleToday:

CP, I don't blame the education system. I blame ourselves. I agree that there are some people for whom even simple math is a challenge, but for most it's just laziness. But your point is well taken. :oops:

Ouachita, I'm sure he'll get over it, and probably views it as a positive learning experience. I think you can let yourself off the hook now :tiphat:

I see and understand all these points about doing simple change math.

That said....

I am good at math, know my times table, do a lot in my head. However, I do craft sales on a huge scale...3-5 day sales. By the end of an insane rush or at the end of each day, my math skills suck, my brain is exhausted and I need a calculator. By Sunday my brain is mush and I really need electronic assistance. So I can see those that do have those blank moments. If that cashier just came off a rush, hasn't had a break in a bit, going through a rough patch that is eating up their hearts and souls and leaving the brain a bit frazzled, worked a 10 hour day and is near the end of an exhausting shift, or, just dealt with an ignorant customer that left them shaken, their math skills, auto processing skills can and will be compromised.

Sometimes we need to step back and ask ourselves are we seeing the whole picture or just a two minute glimpse into someone's day?

Ouachita's original post IMO exemplifies this sentiment.

Dogs and Cows":18jjs6lp said:
Not a store...but the family was at the high school football game one Friday evening. Halftime and I go down to the concession stand for a soda. Got a coke...$2...I hand the young lady a $20. Now, she is very well dressed...well taken care of...and presentable...by looks I have no doubt she is a well brought up and educated young woman. She stands there...staring at the bill I gave her and looking back at me...finally one of the adults comes over and snatches the 20 and gives me my $18 change....and says....the young lady must be tired. I could not believe it!!! I still don't believe it!!! A high school student that can't do math that simple??? Dumbfounded to say the least.

Interesting.
Never done an official IQ test - you can all guess whatever you like. I cannot run a till (the attempts don't bear remembering) and I certainly would not be able to subtract 2 from 20 in a noisy/crowded environment.
At that age (high school) I was certainly pushed into those situations that I didn't have the skills to handle, by adults who thought I needed the work experience. We're not all made the same. Still encounter the attitude often that "you get used to things you don't like".

Whoa! Wait just one minute!

Picking apart my post and taking it out of context to make it say what you want is one thing

To imply or state that I said you gave her crap and that you were not patient is wrong.

I never said such a thing. Nor did I imply it. But instead, I backed up my statement with an example from my life as a retailer, busy cash person, sales person.

What I said....and stated from my own experience is that there are times when the brain is so exhausted that a simple math solution can draw a blank even from the smartest person.

My point was...we don't know what went on in any stranger person life prior to the 2 minutes we entered their orbit. While in that moment, they may appear dumber than a sack of hammers, they may just need a break, maybe some food and a little less.....implied....eye rolling be it visual or in our hearts.

My last point, maybe just maybe the person who appears dumb as a post could in fact have a learning disability and might take a moment to get it together.

I know my 12x table just about better and faster than anyone I've met, and I'm pretty smart at math, especially consumer math. But after a long extremely busy math adding day, no break, no food but water, maybe a 7up and maybe if I am lucky a hotdog, even I draw a blank at change from a 20 for a 2 dollar item. And while in that brief moment I might appear as dumb as a post, I'm just hungry, exhausted, know that my shelves are empty and need to be restocked, need to take a break kinda girl.

cow pollinater":dxpc6og8 said:
CottageFarm":dxpc6og8 said:
The whole thing with people not being able to do simple math isn't, unfortunately, limited to chain stores, nor to kids.
I've run across people older than I am who don't know how to figure out change either. :frowns:
I think quite a few of us take higher intelligence for granted. I know I do. We can blame education all day long but some people are only capable of so much...
Out of curiosity I googled the McDonald's register. Sounds like the machine is somewhat of a nighmare to operate. There are just certain things it will not let you do and training and becoming proficient on it takes a while. Making change shouldn't be one of the problems though. Even with pictures on the keys when people want to add something to the burger or take something out it might become a bit more challenging than some think. I still prefer the ladies that write it down on one of those little pads then "bark" it to the cook. :lol:

Back in high school I always had very good grades in math and I still can handle most any math problem I come across. But when my kids were in sports and I had to put in my volunteer hours at the concession stand I'm guessing there were many people that walked away thinking I wan an idiot. I don't know why, but I can be sitting in the tractor and can figure things out in my head in seconds. But put me behind a counter with someone watching and I struggle with pretty much everything.

Ok, I'm gonna give you my "blank" moment.
Go into Wal-Mart, bring my items to the register, it totals $8.something, I ask for a pen to write the check and go completely blank, I have forgotten how to spell 8. I stare at the check leaf for a few seconds, then look at the young lady, she mouths,"E", I write it down, I look back up at her, she mouths, "i" , I write it down, one more time I look up at her, "g", I say OK, now I got it. I'm a teacher, I'm at my local Wal-Mart, there are people I know in line behind me. The people yall have talked about on here, I feel their pain.
Have a great Day!

At work they've installed swipe machines on all the doors to restricted areas, and you have to wave an access card in front of the doorways before the door will automatically unlock. The other day leaving work I went to my truck and caught myself waving my card at the truck door wondering what was wrong with my stupid card and why the door wasn't unlocking.

Latest posts