Chain Store HUMOR

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
I just couldn't make this fit in the RANT thread. Much discussion about the pros and cons of big box/chain stores, and a general consensus that the employees are less than enthusiastic about their job. I was in Weatherford, OK a few months ago, and needed some short pieces of 1x4 lumber. We found a Home Depot (I knew the one in Fort Smith, AR would cut to length), and we went in to buy 4 each, 1"x4"x8' cut in half to make 8 each 4' pieces.
After a full hour, a person qualified to operated the chop saw finally shows up. I'm not sure if they had to call him in to work or not, but he was not happy to be there. We were not happy either. We had been working hard all day, were sweaty, dirty, and getting very short on patience. We re-explained what we needed to happen, and the employee placed the 4 boards under the chop saw, carefully measured the placement, picked up the safety goggles to put them on and I noticed the elastic strap was way out of adjustment for his pointy head. He hung the safety goggles back on the wall and cut the boards without eye protection, AND with us standing in the 'Employees Only Beyond this Point" area. I instinctively said "I know we don't look like it, but we're from OSHA and noticed you did not follow safety procedures. Who is your supervisor?"
The poor guy lost all color, his knees buckled, he sat down and his breathing became shallow and rapid. I felt really bad and told him it was a bad joke, and that we were just a couple really tired and pizzed off hillbillies that got sick of waiting. He finally came back around, got his color back, and told us he only had the job a week, newly married, baby on the way..............
I felt like crap. But we visited with the young man a few more minutes. He got to see our point of view, and we saw his. He thanked us for the scare and remarked that there actually had been people fired for not following safety protocol. I handed the fellow a very nice tip in hopes he might change his attitude about his job and toward customers (and also to relieve my conscience :lol2: ).
After we got in the truck my buddy ask "Isn't there something about impersonating a federal employee?" :shock: Oops

I went by TS Friday to pick up a couple bags of cubes to use to get my cows in the lot so I could worm and vaccinate Saturday. I could not find any on the shelf so I found and employee. He looked as if he knew what he was doing. I told him I needed a couple bags of cattle cubes. He said they are on the shelf. I told him I didn't see them. He walked back to the feed section and said here they are. He was pointing to the mineral blocks. I again told him it was a feed in a cube form. I was getting agitated and losing patience and top him they must have been out. Then he smarted off something. I started to leave and he said here they are " horse alfalfa cubes" as I was walking away I mentioned that there is a distinct difference between horses and cows and he was way over paid.

The funniest one around here our local lumber yard has decided to carry Full of Pep feed.
I seriously don't there is an employee working that has been closer than the supper plate to livestock.
If they have sold one bag of feed they must restock quick as it looks like they have never moved a bag.
Not a 100 yards down the road is the feed store and most people here buy in bulk super sacks.

I heard a story (don't know how true, but I wouldn't put it past modern youth) of someone going to McDonalds, and ordering a half-dozen McNuggets... the employee said they're only sold in packs of 6,9, or 12... after arguing for some time, he just bought 6 McNuggets

Ouachita... Be interesting to see that employee's reactions next time he sees you!

Nesikep":3jj2dr91 said:
I heard a story (don't know how true, but I wouldn't put it past modern youth) of someone going to McDonalds, and ordering a half-dozen McNuggets... the employee said they're only sold in packs of 6,9, or 12... after arguing for some time, he just bought 6 McNuggets

Ouachita... Be interesting to see that employee's reactions next time he sees you!

I had a bill of $15.22 So I handed the kid a $20 bill and pulled a quarter out of my pocket. He had to ask a manager what to do.

backhoeboogie":32rec3kv said:
Nesikep":32rec3kv said:

I had a bill of $15.22 So I handed the kid a $20 bill and pulled a quarter out of my pocket. He had to ask a manager what to do.

I did about the same. My bill was $6.15 so I gave the cashier $21.15. She gave me back $16.85. I told her this was wrong and she called the manager. Manager looked at the receipt and took up for the cashier saying it was correct. I argued it wasn't and warned them the register would come up short. She said it wouldn't. I handed her the $1.85 and asked them to just humor me.

I'm in a powerchair and carry things on the footplate.. I was in W~M,bought a few things and told the casher I'd carry the sack by my feet. She turned the bag around,so that the heavy end was to the back.
I thanked her and told her that she was the only one to figgure out that was the way to do it.. Usually
I hafta repack on the sidewalk,putting frozen foods in the cold bag...

Jogeephus":2jiil606 said:
backhoeboogie":2jiil606 said:
Nesikep":2jiil606 said:

They stopped teaching arithmetic and making change years ago in schools...lol. Now they teach "how to pass the State or Federal Test" so the teacher and the school looks good. "And they walk among us..."

I did about the same. My bill was $6.15 so I gave the cashier $21.15. She gave me back $16.85. I told her this was wrong and she called the manager. Manager looked at the receipt and took up for the cashier saying it was correct. I argued it wasn't and warned them the register would come up short. She said it wouldn't. I handed her the $1.85 and asked them to just humor me.

But it worse than that RAB. All the kid had to do was punch the $20.25 I gave him into the register. The cash register will do that math for them these days. The poor kids do not even know how to think. They do not need to know how to do math. They just need to know how to use the cash register. They can do neither.

In case no one has ever noticed, McDonalds registers only have pictures on the keys. There isn't a button with "half a dozen" McNuggets on it. It's come to that with our present education system.

I played with my granddaughter with change. Had her count it out, make change and such. I would let her keep coins if she got it right, so she was motivated. Now she's 12 years old and much too cool for such things, but I sure hope it stuck with her. Maybe I need to teach her poker and blackjack and play for money, just for the math skills???

I bought something the other day. It came to $6.11. I handed the gal a $20. I then reached in my pocket for the 11 cents. I went to hand it to her and she said it was too late she had already rung it up...... I just put it back in my pocket. No use in arguing with stupid.

Not in a chain store, but I had a renter, about 22 yrs. old, married, had been to the 1st gulf war, back home and had a baby.

I asked him to use 40 watt bulbs above the vanity in the bathroom. To make this story tolerable, he did not know how to determine the wattage on a light bulb!!!! How can you get that far in life and be that ignorant?

gimpyrancher":8gcqndu8 said:
In case no one has ever noticed, McDonalds registers only have pictures on the keys. There isn't a button with "half a dozen" McNuggets on it. It's come to that with our present education system.
Never worked at McDonalds so didn't have opportunity to see that side of the register.

TexasBred":35bqx95v said:
gimpyrancher":35bqx95v said:
Never worked at McDonalds so didn't have opportunity to see that side of the register.

Yeah, I guess it would be too much to think a parent might consider teaching their own child some simple arithmetic :roll:
Or a grown adult considering some remedial coursework to have a shot at something better than a McD's cashier as a career path......

The whole thing with people not being able to do simple math isn't, unfortunately, limited to chain stores, nor to kids.
I've run across people older than I am who don't know how to figure out change either. :frowns:

Ouachita":br9mhupn said:
I just couldn't make this fit in the RANT thread. Much discussion about the pros and cons of big box/chain stores, and a general consensus that the employees are less than enthusiastic about their job. I was in Weatherford, OK a few months ago, and needed some short pieces of 1x4 lumber. We found a Home Depot (I knew the one in Fort Smith, AR would cut to length), and we went in to buy 4 each, 1"x4"x8' cut in half to make 8 each 4' pieces.
After a full hour, a person qualified to operated the chop saw finally shows up. I'm not sure if they had to call him in to work or not, but he was not happy to be there. We were not happy either. We had been working hard all day, were sweaty, dirty, and getting very short on patience. We re-explained what we needed to happen, and the employee placed the 4 boards under the chop saw, carefully measured the placement, picked up the safety goggles to put them on and I noticed the elastic strap was way out of adjustment for his pointy head. He hung the safety goggles back on the wall and cut the boards without eye protection, AND with us standing in the 'Employees Only Beyond this Point" area. I instinctively said "I know we don't look like it, but we're from OSHA and noticed you did not follow safety procedures. Who is your supervisor?"
The poor guy lost all color, his knees buckled, he sat down and his breathing became shallow and rapid. I felt really bad and told him it was a bad joke, and that we were just a couple really tired and pizzed off hillbillies that got sick of waiting. He finally came back around, got his color back, and told us he only had the job a week, newly married, baby on the way..............
I felt like crap. But we visited with the young man a few more minutes. He got to see our point of view, and we saw his. He thanked us for the scare and remarked that there actually had been people fired for not following safety protocol. I handed the fellow a very nice tip in hopes he might change his attitude about his job and toward customers (and also to relieve my conscience :lol2: ).
After we got in the truck my buddy ask "Isn't there something about impersonating a federal employee?" :shock: Oops

Poor guy, he's probably still hyperventilating! :lol:

CottageFarm":32m8om7x said:
The whole thing with people not being able to do simple math isn't, unfortunately, limited to chain stores, nor to kids.
I've run across people older than I am who don't know how to figure out change either. :frowns:
I think quite a few of us take higher intelligence for granted. I know I do. We can blame education all day long but some people are only capable of so much...

CottageFarm":qzic1mlu said:
Ouachita":qzic1mlu said:

Poor guy, he's probably still hyperventilating! :lol:

It was a spontaneous event. I really did feel like a POS after I did it, but the situation did present opportunity for each of us to appreciate the other. I think we both are better as a result of that brief encounter. I don't live there. 7 hours away and probably will not meet him again in this world.

Latest posts