Chain Round baler or belts

Help Support CattleToday:

somn":h2qjbbtc said:
I'm not the best speller either but the way some people spell this one drives me crazy.

bail 1 (bl) KEY

NOUN:

Security, usually a sum of money, exchanged for the release of an arrested person as a guarantee of that person's appearance for trial......

cowtrek":h2qjbbtc said:
Wasn't going to say anything but since someone else did... I sure agree with you! The myriad goofy misspellings of hay baling drive me crazy! They are hay BALES or BALING, not BAILS or BAILING.....
I can only guess that you schoolteachers are talking about Caustic's spelling because he spelled 'baler' wrong in one of his posts. He does that from time to time. So what? If you ever had the pleasure of meeting him and talking to him about hay, you'd know that he knows what he's talking about no matter how he spells bale or baler.

I'm kinda picky about spelling too, but you knew wtf he meant, didn't you? If you don't like the way somebody spells, skip their posts and go on to the next one.

I use a NH851 chain baler and it got to where the bales were getting a little loose. I just adjusted the tension on the roller chains and now you can't hardly stick a hay fork in the end of them. I also have a Ford belt baler that makes a nice tight bale but is pain in the butt to get it to start rolling a bale and yes I have done all the adjustments. Dang thing eats bearings. I will stay with a chain baler although the large square balers are pretty reasonable to purchase now.

flaboy-":37c5z71y said:
I will stay with a chain baler although the large square balers are pretty reasonable to purchase now.

I'd like to have one of those big square balers, but the horsepower requirements have certainly scared me away from them, especially the 4x4x8s. And I'm not real crazy about the idea of having to cover them. The dehy plants like to use them, but they do notice more spoilage, so I think I'll be sticking with rounds for now.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":1641ry9y said:
flaboy-":1641ry9y said:
I will stay with a chain baler although the large square balers are pretty reasonable to purchase now.

I'd like to have one of those big square balers, but the horsepower requirements have certainly scared me away from them, especially the 4x4x8s. And I'm not real crazy about the idea of having to cover them. The dehy plants like to use them, but they do notice more spoilage, so I think I'll be sticking with rounds for now.

Rod

Yeah you are right. I will stick with the round baler for now also. Sure would be easy to stack although I don't really have problem stacking the round ones.

Texan":2uzrebz0 said:
somn":2uzrebz0 said:
I'm not the best speller either but the way some people spell this one drives me crazy.

bail 1 (bl) KEY

NOUN:

Security, usually a sum of money, exchanged for the release of an arrested person as a guarantee of that person's appearance for trial......

cowtrek":2uzrebz0 said:
Wasn't going to say anything but since someone else did... I sure agree with you! The myriad goofy misspellings of hay baling drive me crazy! They are hay BALES or BALING, not BAILS or BAILING.....
I can only guess that you schoolteachers are talking about Caustic's spelling because he spelled 'baler' wrong in one of his posts. He does that from time to time. So what? If you ever had the pleasure of meeting him and talking to him about hay, you'd know that he knows what he's talking about no matter how he spells bale or baler.

I'm kinda picky about spelling too, but you knew wtf he meant, didn't you? If you don't like the way somebody spells, skip their posts and go on to the next one.

You shouldn't be so quick to pick on the school teachers. They might be hobby farmers or part timers but at the very least they know enough to spell the word right. More than can be said for some of the big boys here on the board. City folk start reading on this board they will really think of us as stupid people. Whats next we spell it hey bail. Spell a big word wrong thats understandable but the easy ones we need to get those right. I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone it was a general observation. You did point the finger however and so after some research it appears you aren't the best at adding. Talk to the school teacher they can help you with that.

somn":2gl0a508 said:
You shouldn't be so quick to pick on the school teachers. They might be hobby farmers or part timers but at the very least they know enough to spell the word right. More than can be said for some of the big boys here on the board. City folk start reading on this board they will really think of us as stupid people. Whats next we spell it hey bail. Spell a big word wrong thats understandable but the easy ones we need to get those right. I wasn't pointing the finger at anyone it was a general observation. You did point the finger however and so after some research it appears you aren't the best at adding. Talk to the school teacher they can help you with that.
:lol: i can alwaze use sum skoolin..whennever your reddy

Texan":ms1c9g30 said:
somn":ms1c9g30 said:
:lol: i can alwaze use sum skoolin..whennever your reddy
Never said you are a poor speller I said you aren't the best at adding. I'm not sure who the school teacher was but I will ask around.

somn":9t509zz7 said:

bail 1 (bl) KEY

NOUN:

Security, usually a sum of money, exchanged for the release of an arrested person as a guarantee of that person's appearance for trial.

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/di ... entry/bail

bale 1 (bl) KEY

NOUN:

A large package of raw or finished material tightly bound with twine or wire and often wrapped: a bale of hay

http://education.yahoo.com/reference/di ... entry/bale

additional spellings of the word: baler, baled, baling, bales

thank u fer yer post. we al ned yur hep wit er spelin.
plez post on th topic nex time. :p

Cabo":1wghyp8s said:
Caustic Burno":1wghyp8s said:
Herefordcross":1wghyp8s said:
Too many variables, the chain balers made good tight bales, we've got an old one that we bale trash and thick stuff with. Never had to do anything to the chains to speak of, Get what you can afford and slow down with it, I covered a lot of ground with junk balers for a long time, I didn't get a new one until early this spring. Check the chain over good it's the costliest part I do believe.

You are right on the tight bales never get loose, when I was referring to the upkeep it wasn't the chains as the roller bearings that the chains operate on. Mine has 88 roller bearings and every year I have to change out 20 or so.
CB, I wish you would show the fellows around here how to make a good looking bale with their chain balers because they all look like crap and squat about the time they hit the ground. And I am talking about several different chain balers.

danfreds, Before I gave $4900 for a chain baler, I would go to an auction and see how much they are selling for. JMO
I'll second the fact that the chain balers around here(Northwest TN ) make the sorriest looking rolls of hay.

somn, I don't about your spelling skills, but you should keep an eye out for the grammar and punctuation police! I'm not an English teacher, but I play a Science teacher on TV. Woops, I meant at school.

We've made tens of thousands bales with chain balers and always made good shaped tight bales.....not quite as pretty as the belt balers but still good. All it takes is a good operator who takes a bit of pride in his work!!!!!!!!!

DiamondSCattleCo":1aym1q0h said:
I'm with you on that one cowsense. In the case of the M&Ws, I haven't seen a nicer looking soft core bale from any baler.

Rod
We sell M&W and Vermeer. Just to let you know JD, NH, Hesston and Vermeer all sell 2000+ balers a year. M&W sells about 200 a year.

Ironpeddler, did you leave off a 0 on those numbers? I can probably see M&W only selling a couple hundred, however I can't see NH only selling 2000 balers per year. Heck, just in my little area alone there are 5 or 6 brand spankin' new BR780s.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":4ftc32c4 said:
Ironpeddler, did you leave off a 0 on those numbers? I can probably see M&W only selling a couple hundred, however I can't see NH only selling 2000 balers per year. Heck, just in my little area alone there are 5 or 6 brand spankin' new BR780s.

Rod
The total North American Round Baler market is 8,000-12,000 balers (All sizes). Moisture, cattle prices, interest rates and over all us economy strength vary the numbers. The big 4 usually sell 2000-3000 round balers a year each.

flaboy,

I have a question for you. I have a NH 851 Auto-Wrap baler and I have all adjustment as tight as they will go but still can't get a good, tight bale. I have the service manuals on the baler but don't remember them saying anything about having worn out parts if you still can't get a tight bale. So here's the question. What would you guess being at fault if all adjustments are at their tightest settings and still get a loose bale? I'm thinking the large springs on each side of the baler have lost tension if everything else is good?

I'm really surprised about the chain vs belt baler. I've always wanted a belt baler because I just didn't think the chain baler would make a tight bale by design.

Oh yea, I bale Coastal, Gordo Bluestem and a little Hay Grazer. Hay Grazer makes a little tighter bale since it's much coarser hay but it's still loose by new baler standards. I just can't afford $30K for a new belt baler right now.

All comments welcome and thanks,

I have an 851 NH --I always bale alfalfa in the early morning or evening and no problem with loseing leaves I find its pretty gental on the hay inside the bale and the leaves are always attached to the plant --Some of the new ones are--I find the leaves are in the bale but separated from the plant

carl

Latest posts