Cervex, AI ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Having a tough time getting my cows to settle AI. I don't AI very many cows, 10 to 15 head and only AI two heat cycles a year. I have one calving season, my point is I get very little practice.

How much does it decrease precentage wise for settling a cow if you only get the gun into the cervex and not all the way through? Say through two rings but not the third? Only one ring?

Thanks,
Alan

With a splash on the outside or 1 ring I've never had an success. 2 rings runs in the same percentage as all the way through. Maybe 80% instead of 85%. But then you get the ones that depositing all the way in never settle and those that 2 rings always settle.
If you depeosit in the cervix you would need to release the semen even slower then if you are all the way through. My theory anyway. More pressure so more possibility of damage to the sperm cells.

I was taught in AI school to deposit half just the otherside of the cervix in the body of the uterus before the horns and then pull back and depsoit the rest in the cervix.

Now I've found that if you struggle to get through the cervix, especially in virgin heifers, if you reverse the process and deposit half the semen in the cervix it lubricates it just that touch more and the pistolette ususally just slips through after depositing the first half.

What also works when the cow isn't co-operating and keeps arching her back and keep trying to push your hand out is to leave the gun inside (just blocking it from falling out with your body), with your left hand still in her rectum and "ring her bell" a few times with your right hand, that will relax her and her back will go concave (so she can't push), in that time you can regrip the cervix and start manipulating it through the cervix again using your right hand as usual on the gun.

dun said:
With a splash on the outside or 1 ring I've never had an success. 2 rings runs in the same percentage as all the way through. Maybe 80% instead of 85%. But then you get the ones that depositing all the way in never settle and those that 2 rings always settle.
If you depeosit in the cervix you would need to release the semen even slower then if you are all the way through. My theory anyway. More pressure so more possibility of damage to the sperm cells.[/quote]

Sounds good, I'll talk to the bull before next breeding season, see if he could slow down a little. :)

rocket2222":3p3npcyo said:
dun":3p3npcyo said:
If you depeosit in the cervix you would need to release the semen even slower then if you are all the way through. My theory anyway. More pressure so more possibility of damage to the sperm cells.[/quote]

Sounds good, I'll talk to the bull before next breeding season, see if he could slow down a little. :)
If your bull can get inside the cervix he probably already knows about it.

There is a big difference in A.I. service compared to natural service, as it takes longer for the sperm to decapitate? (help) as it does with natural service.

There is a big difference in A.I. service compared to natural service, as it takes longer for the sperm to decapitate? (help) as it does with natural service.

Latest posts