Certified Angus Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

missouri_exile -

a neighbor of mine sold 19 head of fats on the grid last year - along with 59 other fats from various producers. out of the 78 total head of calves, my neighbor had the highest percentage of CAB graded carcasses. (14 out of his 19 graded CAB if memory serves me correctly). he also had a couple of selects, one prime and two sterling silver.

all of the producers sold angus calves except for one, my neighbor - none of his calves were black hided. his calves were simmental, charolais, and one jersey looking calf. how did these calves grade CAB if they weren't black hided and at least 51% angus?

made the total grouping of calves look a lot better though

ROB

MissouriExile":3v718fhm said:
How is CAB defined? Do the cattle have to be registered? Do they have to be black? (i.e. Red Angus)

Curious.

Jon

Here's a link to the USDA Branded Beef site. Click on Certified Angus Beef, top left, and it will give you the requirements the animal and carcass must meet before the packers can stamp it CAB. It also shows the penalties if they stamp something that doesn't meet the qualifications.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/certbeef.htm

MikeC-Hanging for a few weeks may be the difference. This makes a big difference, but at times it is pretty inconvenient.

DOC HARRIS

deenranch":f2lz24es said:
Do you know that Certified Angus Beef, in most cases is only half angus?
And where pray tell did you get that particular statistic?

dun

Its marketing! When the hide comes off it could be any thing from my old 12 year old Longhorn to what ever. I had a medium rare steak in a resturant with CAB on the menu, posters in the window and at the register, that must of been used for shoe leather before it was cooked. Told the manager the same and he said our supplier insured me it was CAB. :eek:

Frankie":2yznkpc1 said:
"Why Certified Angus Beef ®
At Meijer, you've come to expect the best. That's why we /

I did not know there are Meijer stores in Oklahoma, I thought it was just up here in the Lake States, it is Michigan company. I know Meijer has been working with NCBA to promote their beef products and I know alot of people that are pretty happy shopping there for beef.

toby":vwljjm58 said:
Its marketing! When the hide comes off it could be any thing from my old 12 year old Longhorn to what ever. I had a medium rare steak in a resturant with CAB on the menu, posters in the window and at the register, that must of been used for shoe leather before it was cooked. Told the manager the same and he said our supplier insured me it was CAB. :eek:

The restaurant I go to does not advertise the fact that their steaks are CAB. The owner told me personally that CAB is all he buys and serves and I will have to say I've yet to eat a bad steak there. You can make about any steak tender if you let the carcass hang long enough but you can't put marbling in it. JMHO

TSR":3bwe4cvg said:
toby":3bwe4cvg said:

The restaurant I go to does not advertise the fact that their steaks are CAB. The owner told me personally that CAB is all he buys and serves and I will have to say I've yet to eat a bad steak there. You can make about any steak tender if you let the carcass hang long enough
  • but you can't put marbling in it.
JMHO
thats for sure ;-)

toby":fk88jgwu said:

No it can't. It has to be Mid-Choice or better. Choice comes from A maturity carcasses. Your 12 year old Longhorn can't meet that qualification.

On the issue of what is considered cert. angus. If you will go to angus.org and look at the criteria for cert. angus. It states that the animal must be 51% black hided. Not even full blood red angus can qualify. If you haven't looked lately: Simmental, Brangus, Maine, and a couple other breeds are black today. So you tell me. Are you really getting what you think you are. I have a friend that owns a dairy. They breed their heifers to angus. The calves are way over 51% black hided. Holstein is one of the toughest meats around. This cert. angus is great advertising by the angus breed. That's all it is. They did a good job. Can't take that away from them. Check your herds of black cattle today and tell me what you see in them. Probably a Charlolais bull. The feedlots are getting away from black hided cattle. This might also be a clue that CAB is a crock.

deenranch":2v4cbqka said:
On the issue of what is considered cert. angus. If you will go to angus.org and look at the criteria for cert. angus. It states that the animal must be 51% black hided. Not even full blood red angus can qualify. If you haven't looked lately: Simmental,
  • Brangus,
Maine, and a couple other breeds are black today. So you tell me. Are you really getting what you think you are. I have a friend that owns a dairy. They breed their heifers to angus. The calves are way over 51% black hided. Holstein is one of the toughest meats around. This cert. angus is great advertising by the angus breed. That's all it is. They did a good job. Can't take that away from them. Check your herds of black cattle today and tell me what you see in them. Probably a Charlolais bull. The feedlots are getting away from black hided cattle. This might also be a clue that CAB is a crock.
brangus was around before the CAB was thought about and was'nt bred to jump on their band wagon. but the others have and is the biggest reason that CAB has to change standards like folks change underware. why hereford went black is beond me they have the perfect match for angus. its the biggest duh. of em all

Frankie":3ap71lk5 said:
" This higher degree of marbling does not increase cholesterol and only slightly increases saturated fat.

I have been known to enjoy a well marbled steak but the above statement is scientifically impossible and a bold face lie.
nothing against Angus just the lie in this advertisement!