Cereal Rye Grazing Management

Help Support CattleToday:

J-CCCC

Reaction score
We have a 4 to 5 inch high stand of Elbon Rye drilled into 15 acres of our bermuda. My questions relate to grazing practices and nutrition. Also to squeezing the most out of the planting. Haven't practiced winter grazing before.

1. At what height is it practical to begin grazing it?
2. Can I expect re-growth if we take them off when it is grazed down to some height or do we leave them on till its gone?
3. I plan to keep available; hay for roughage,minerals high in Mag, 2n1 cotton seed w/salt, and will feed some range cubes.
4. Do we need to limit grazing time to avoid scouring? Or will it take care of its self like usual when they hit spring grass?

The growth cycle is going to be short and grazing from middle to late Jan. thru Mar. is probably more than I can hope for; so would like to get it right. All suggestions are welcome.

Jay

prattkyle,

Thanks for the input. I have printed-off for reading tomorrow. Have you fed yours with winter forage? If so, can you give me something from your personal practices and results?

I'm also interested in inputs from folks who have or are feeding on winter forage, particuraly cereal rye.

Thanks again,
Jay

Latest posts